Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improving UHF whip antenna reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

VISN

I picked up one of these recently DSTV Drifta - and it is used to receive dvb-h signals - handheld digital tv. I am on the fringe area for reception, climbing a few meters onto the roof gives me 80% signal - up from zero.

I want to improve the reception of the device whilst keeping it indoors, this suggests an external antenna. The device has a whip antenna, it is 13 cm long. I have no idea of the transmission frequency, I expect it to be somewhere in between 540-700Mhz. The device does not have an external antenna input, and I am trying to figure a way to improve the reception.

How do I couple an external antenna to a whip which does not have a ground connector? I tried to use an indoors booster to feed the signal directly to the whip, but it showed no signal. Is there a way to create a false ground to the device without busting it open? Will some type of reflector help improve the snr to the whip?

If your indoor reception is poor you might have enough isolation to put an outdoor UHF antenna pointed in direction of transmission. Run cable into house and through a UHF TV amplifier. Output of UHF TV amp to a small whip UHF antenna inside your house.

Again, you need enough isolation from outside to avoid direct and amplified retransmitted signal from interferring with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back