Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improving Freq Counter Input Sensitivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike - K8LH

Hi guys:

Can anyone recommend a better input circuit for my home brew Frequency Counter please? This input circuit, borrowed from the Internet, needs about 400-mv at low frequencies to 800-mv or more at the higher frequencies... I'd like something a little more sensitive, not too complex, not too many parts, and, what about input over voltage protection (a pair of back-to-back 1N914s perhaps?)?

Thank you for you time and kind consideration guys...

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 12f683_freq_counter_schematic.jpg
    12f683_freq_counter_schematic.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 453
You might try the preamp from
**broken link removed**
, or try searching for the Weeder Technology frequency counter, an LCD version of the original MicroChip application note - that uses an FET input as well. Weeder no longer sell the kit, and if you can't find the circuit I have it at home somewhere.

I simulated this, but I haven't built it. It works in simulation (into a 5pF load, not shown) from below 100Hz to above 10Mhz with input amplitudes from 100mv p-p to 20v p-p. A Schmitt trigger on the output would be a useful addition, if your PIC input doesn't already have one.
You can easily extend the low end limit by making C1 and C2 larger.

Attachments

• preamp1.gif
    preamp1.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 416
Hi Nigel & Ron...

Thanks for the replies...

Nigel, I've come across the Weeder schematic before... Thank you...

Ron, thanks for the example...

Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back