Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improved VU Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh0therside

Right now I have a LM3916 with a basic half-wave peak detector (as seen on page 12 of the IC datasheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/01/lm3916.pdf) and some other circuitry. The output of the peak detector circuit is a .6~1V signal.

Unfortunately, some audio input doesn't seem to drive a large enough voltage difference between loud and quiet parts (i.e. some audio yields a range of only .7-.8V and therefore doesn't use the entire output display). Because the decibel difference between each output on the IC is fixed, I want to amplify the magnitude of the difference between the peak detector voltage and something like .6V.

I tried to do this by placing a diode after the peak detector and then amplifying the result relative to ground but this resulted in a high voltage (~4V) at the LM3916 input. I don't really understand why that happened and would be grateful to hear any ideas of how I can accomplish this improvement.

Thank you

ho,
Post the circuit of your amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back