Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improved Optical Zero Crossing detector : Strange Cap values

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblc1388

While searching the Net for zero crossing detector circuit, I came across the following circuit design idea that appeared in the EDN 12/14/2007 edition.

The link of the full article is here:

**broken link removed**

However, I have trouble understanding the value of the two capacitors being used. The schematic of Fig.2 is attached. The same capacitor values are used for another schematic(Fig.3) also. In my opinion, one capacitor should be for noise filtering and the other should be charge storage for a current source but their values are not appear to be appropriate.

Any comments?

Attachments

• ZeroX.gif
    ZeroX.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,896
I have considered the possibility.

There is a similar comment on the cap values dated back to early January but there is no reply from the author or the two editors yet.

eblc1388 said:
I have considered the possibility.

There is a similar comment on the cap values dated back to early January but there is no reply from the author or the two editors yet.

It's so obviously incorrect, I wouldn't have bothered asking!.

I have a chance to simulate the above circuit using SwitcherCad3. The simulation result of the original design is not good.

The current pulse position is off by a large amount. I have no idea why the original design will work.

Can anyone advise if my simulation parameters are correct or not? The SwitcherCad asc file is also attached.

Attachments

• C_ZeroX.gif
    C_ZeroX.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 421
  • ZeroX.asc
    2.7 KB · Views: 206
On1aag,

Thanks for the information. The circuit works very nicely in the simulator. The startup time to stabilization is less than half a second and the zero crossing pulses occur at the right moment.

The attached image shows the AC main voltage and the current in R4, the 390 ohm resistor feeding the LEDs of the optoisolator TLP504A.

Attachments

• ZeroX_3.gif
    ZeroX_3.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 569
No particular loading type in mind. Just try to understand how different circuit designs of zero crossing detection circuit perform in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back