Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improved burglar alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

Why use a silly bell that gets ignored all night? Why not run fat firecrackers from a PIC? Sounds like both barrels of a shotgun, time to reload, both barrels again. I live 50 metres from the police station......

spuffock said:
Why use a silly bell that gets ignored all night? Why not run fat firecrackers from a PIC? Sounds like both barrels of a shotgun, time to reload, both barrels again. I live 50 metres from the police station......

Do you need protection from the british police? Why do you need an alarm so close to station? Anyway, after the way they filled that brazillian tourist full of holes in the subway, don't think I'd provoke them with firecrackers. There are worst fates then being robbed in your own home...

HarveyH42 said:
Do you need protection from the british police? Why do you need an alarm so close to station? Anyway, after the way they filled that brazillian tourist full of holes in the subway, don't think I'd provoke them with firecrackers. There are worst fates then being robbed in your own home...

I don't think that's very fair. I understand that an innocent person was killed as a result of what happened that day, and for sure that's regrettable, but the police ordered him to stop. They suspected that he was a terrorist, they ordered him to stop, and he ran. Not only did he run, but he got on a train full of people!

Now, if the police had done nothing and he'd detonated a bomb, they'd have been critisised for not acting quickly enough to protect the British people. But because they did act to protect the British people, they're critisised anyway.
The man shouldn't have run from the police! If he really had nothing to worry about, then he shouldn't have needed to run - and then none of it would ever have happened. I'm sorry for the family because they've lost someone close to them, but he shouldn't have run! The police were acting on the intelligence they had available to them, and they ordered him to stop - which he should have done. With the information they had at the time, they had no option to use force when he refused to obey their orders.

I think it's fair to say that the British police are far less trigger happy than the American ones anyway!:rolleyes:

Brian

Yes, I do agree about police shooting fleeing suspects, should be more generous with the lead. Save the rest of tons of tax money spent on court costs, which seems to send less criminals to prison, and for shorter sentences.

Anyway, the point of my previous reply, was why provoke the police? They will shoot you, if they aren't sure of the situation. You'd think living so close to the station, you would be safe enough not to require an alarm system.

HarveyH42 said:
Save the rest of tons of tax money spent on court costs, which seems to send less criminals to prison, and for shorter sentences.

Ooooh don't get me started on that one hehe. The prison system. I heard that we (the law abiding tax payers) shell out over £1000 a week to pay for each prisoner to be kept, fed, and have security guards etc. £1000 a week!!! That's £4000 a month, which is almost tripple what I earn.

If this really is the case, WHY are we paying out for all those sex offenders, rapists and murderers to be kept in prison??
I'm sorry, but if some low life scumm ever raped my daughter, I wouldn't want him to spend any more than a month in prison. Because after that I'd want him taken outside and shot. But no you can't do that because of all the do gooders who say we'd be breaching human rights and blah blah blah. As far as I'd be concerned, the man would have lost his social human rights the minute he decided to attack a girl in that manner. Sod paying out tripple my wages to keep the guy in prison, get rid of the trash!!!

If only I were running the country ;)

Brian

I have a friend who currently enjoys the "benefits" of our correctional system. He told of a new inmate, recently convicted of child molestation and rape, who joined their cellblock. Within a few hours, the "welcoming committee" left him bruised and bleeding, and, while being rescued by the guards, somehow managed to trip and fall headlong down a metal flight of stairs.

We might assume, by this account, that justice is served sometimes not with incarceration, but by being incarcerated.

Sex crimes should carry the same penalties as murder. The victim will never be the same, rarely normal again. Their old life is gone for good. The rate for repeat offenders is much too high. Some argue that stronger penalties will just endanger the victims. But how many victims of rape already being murdered? The police tend to focus more on the murder part of the crime, the sexual assult portion doesn't always make the headlines. As these criminals progress, they get more violent and dangerous anyway. They aren't interested in whether the victim lives or dies.

Society was much safer when the excutions were quicker and more public. Lethal Injection? What the hell happened to hanging and electric chairs? It should be on TV, and done in a public place. Most decent people witnessing a horrible death, will remember it for ever. Nobody wants to die that way.

Electric chairs? Don't give some of these crazed newbies here any ideas for their homework assignments. Next we'll be seeing a thread like this:

Kind Sirs,

Please lokate cirkut I can use to shock a chair. Must have soon, imperative to receive excellent grade from class teacher. Must be made from 12 komponents and quasi-digital design with no induktors to whine. It wuld be benefit if device had lokator feature to track a smelly, secluded mid-east rat who is leader of AlQaeda. Thank you.
Regards
Ranesh Gunesh Sadir Amir Benito Bandito Abdula Medulla Oblongata No Hablongata

... and as far as police chasing and shooting someone.... IMHO when an officer yells "Police, stop where you are", if a suspect runs then all bets are off from that point on. Who knows what the fleeing felon has up his/her sleeve.

Last edited:
and jumping back to how this mostly started - if its a tourist or someone who doesn't understand the language and sees a dozen armed 'officers of the law' (uniforms that you don't immediately recognize as being police) running towards you with guns infront of them? I think I would certainly take a couple of steps back and maybe even run to - flight or fight instinct is primal.

In today's age - there must be more efficient ways of deactivating a fleeing suspect than pumping them full of lead.

My own opinion on public punishments, I am all for it. Someone is caught stealing for something other than survival - cut off a finger, do it again - there hand.

Then again.. Eye for an Eye and the whole world is blind.

Last edited:
falieson said:
In today's age - there must be more efficient ways of deactivating a fleeing suspect than pumping them full of lead.

The incident was during a terrorist attack by suicide bombers - wearing bombs in back packs and blowing themselves up on buses and trains, killing and maiming many bystanders.

The ONLY way to stop someone pressing the button is to kill them VERY quickly, bullets through the head is probably the safest way to do so.

It was regrettable that the innocent casualty came from a country where the police routinely shoot people in the streets - which caused him to flee when ordered to stop.

falieson said:
My own opinion on public punishments, I am all for it. Someone is caught stealing for something other than survival - cut off a finger, do it again - there hand. Then again.. Eye for an Eye and the whole world is blind.
Given that outlook, you best never get caught screwing someone elses wife or girlfriend then!!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back