Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementing ROM with Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hey,

Could someone please explain how this bus is physically implemented?

In the below example, there's a 3-wire bus.

When, for example, address input is (0,0,0), then the output should be 1.
I don't understand how it works out.

Moreover, aren't these 8 AND gates supposed to be 'three-state' AND gates?
Meaning, each of them should have an Enable entry, that when zero, it outputs High-Z?

Thanks.

untitled-jpg.45705

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
hi,
The thick line represents 3 address wires.
Look at this image

EDIT:
I should add that the AND symbol is a complex AND function block and not just a 4 input AND.
You could image that the AND for ROM location '0' symbol represents say 3 inverters on the address line inputs which connect into a 4 input AND gate.
So when the 3 address lines are low and the Data bit is high the AND gate is enabled and the output onto the bus is '1'

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hey, thanks.

I understand how it logically works, but I dont understand how it physically works.
Could you draw it in more details?

hi,
Did my EDIT help to explain it OK.?

EDIT
Added image

Attachments

• AAesp07.gif
    AAesp07.gif
    14 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Oh, so basically you implemented the ROM by a MUX, didn't you?

However, there's a conflict at the output, as I described in the attached image, isn't there?

Attachments

• AAesp07.gif
    AAesp07.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 124
Oh, so basically you implemented the ROM by a MUX, didn't you?

However, there's a conflict at the output, as I described in the attached image, isn't there?

hi,
The AND gates would normally be open collector outputs and the bus line would have single pull up resistor to +V.
So conflict, as I stated in the drawing they are not the actual IC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back