Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

impedance matching question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhi_yi

hi there, please help me to answer my question..

what is the priority in the impedance matching in the audio system?
is it we want the maximum power dissipate to the load? or the maximum voltage in the load? when we do impedance matching, i read a book and it said that the input impedance is needed as high as possible, and the output impedance is as lower as possible, when the input impedance is high, the voltage can be absorbed by the input impedance (next stage), but how about the current, the current can't flow very well to the input impedance (next stage), if we need the maximum power, we need the output impedance (previous stage) = input impedance (next stage), but which one is the priority? is it we want the maximum power? or maximum voltage?

zhi_yi said:
hi there, please help me to answer my question..

what is the priority in the impedance matching in the audio system?
is it we want the maximum power dissipate to the load? or the maximum voltage in the load? when we do impedance matching, i read a book and it said that the input impedance is needed as high as possible, and the output impedance is as lower as possible, when the input impedance is high, the voltage can be absorbed by the input impedance (next stage), but how about the current, the current can't flow very well to the input impedance (next stage), if we need the maximum power, we need the output impedance (previous stage) = input impedance (next stage), but which one is the priority? is it we want the maximum power? or maximum voltage?

In audio 'matching' you generally want voltage transfer, and NOT power transfer - doing maximum power transfer (impedances equal) reduces your voltage signal by 50%. You don't need the highest possible ratio, but commonly something like five times is enough - so a 600 ohm source would feed into a minimum 3000 ohm load.

It's quite simple to understand if you consider the source impedance as a series resistor, and the load as a resistor from the input to ground. These two 'resistors' form a potential divider, which reduces the signal voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back