Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Immersion water heater in a metal cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas01

I am creating a non-profit product for charity and I have a simple electrical question.

In this product a single cup immersion water heater will go inside a stainless steel cup. So the heater will be touching the metal cup. But I am going to have a plastic safety cover that goes over the metal cup, so someone can not touch the water or metal.

Does this sound safe enough to sell to the public? Or is there anything else that might be a problem?

Thanks so much for any advice.

ps: I live in Thailand, so it might take me a while to answer any questions, cause of the time difference.

What are you doing for an immersion water heater? I have seen some that are simply two electrodes making direct contact with the water. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE regardless of whether or not the cup is insulated. DO NOT USE THIS SORT OF HEATER!

Thanks. I think the two electrodes is a kind of heater that inmates also use in prison? Just two wires in a cup of water. I think/hope the heater I want to use is safer.

Does this sound safe enough to sell to the public?
Not to me. As there is no safety earth or fuse, the cup could become and remain live in the event of a fault with the heater.

Not to me. As there is no safety earth or fuse, the cup could become and remain live in the event of a fault with the heater.
I know these heaters are the safest things, but people use them all over the world, everyday. And companies like Wal-Mart sell them, so I feel it's probably safe enough, I hope. When I think about products that are not safe, the 4th of July and fireworks come to mind ;-)

DEFINATELY NOT A SAFE HEATER.
But it is BUYER BEWARE.

500W is quite high load to distribution grid - considering the potential user areas - you may manage to black out the region if many people simultaneously use this + 500W generates a lot of heat also e.g. potential fire safety - if the device is left/forgotten on it's own

. . . so as a trivia from that - a thermal fuse or a relay that'd be auto resetting or user resettable would give you some advance

. . . why a fixed product - do negotiate the social aware folks at the area - the true problems usually need long term involvement

there's avail all sort of open door / hiking kitchen ware (**broken link removed**) - the advance of what might be that - if you introduce new product at the earthquake tropical storm area the same donation has to be repeated after 1,2,5,10 years or you only cover the window of product life span
while gas/solar stoves won't generate much difference from firewood (it's about transition from solution A to B the alernatives -- when electrical heater fails it becomes a junk - for gas stoves you can buy another supply , the solar can basically last "forever")

another good convertible is (what you know) vodka - it is desinfectant , anti bacterial , anti microbal , also when ingested an anti viral // although the web lists conflicting options A v. B (←i dont see ethanol listed here??) // but from personal experience i've studied that ethanol variated with ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_cyanide ) namely the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus_nigra treats the beast -- also in that case you must educate the folks (i'm not telling it's any easy) about resource management

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch that thing with a 50 foot pole. Extremely dangerous, and doesn't even have the proper retention holes in the plug. It isn't even worth the $0.90. DON'T DO IT!!!

It has no named manufacturer and has no certification that it is safe. It is probably illegal to import or sell such garbage here. Most ebay junk is like that.
Why is it rated at 220V when it has a 117V North American plug??

Mr. thomas01 - don't get shocked about the rough welcome here - but to do the "right" thing you need to confirm it finally is most likely to be that - and to confirm it you should know/find out the answers / details about your product

If this Heater is actually rated at 500 watts and for use on 220 Volts, than it will only be 125 watt if used on 110 VAC.

which country you in? In the Uk you would need CE marked and all kinds of paper work to prove safety. Not sure what your making but goto the trade body for your country that deals with electrical safety regs. here in the UK if your device kills someone it isnt buyer beware, its manufacture in curt facing manslaughter charges.

Not giving you a hard time but elf and safety gestapo aside, stop and think how you would feel if you hurt someone because you wanted to make money! Safety can be a PITA, but its there for a reason. By all means make something unsafe for your own use, i strongly believe in free choice, but that dosnt include hurting other people.

Sorry if it sounds like i am having a go, seriously it isnt intended too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back