Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Immediate help required for Gray Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badar

I've to solve a question That is
Design a 4 bit binary system that gives high output for the Gray codes.
If this is the complete question what do you think what are the gray codes here as all 16 combinations of inputs have gray codes present in the truth table.then what is required here.
I just gave a high output for 3 i.e 0011 because it is gray code of its preceding term 0010 but my answer was rejected.
I want comments urgently.
Thank you in Advance for your help.

hi badar,
>>
If this is the complete question what do you think what are the gray codes here as all 16 combinations of inputs have gray codes present in the truth table.then what is required here.
I just gave a high output for 3 i.e 0011 because it is gray code of its preceding term 0010 but my answer was rejected.

The simple point about the Gray code, is that only 1 bit changes state for each increment in the value.

0111 .......................
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_code

Eric i've consulted some text books and they gave me concept that we write down most significant digit as it is and then write the remainder of the sum of the Most Significant bit and the bit after that and so on.
e.g.
Binary value: 11101
Gray Code : 10011

here it is not the transition of just on bit.I wanted to clear that point

Ok Eric I now understood what you said but still here is a problem.
You wrote the gray codes of first 6 values.
There is a transition of one bit in each consecutive GRAY CODES.
Do you mean to say i've to write high value("1") in the output cell for these 6 values if so whatever the consecutive value we take out of 16 possible values it gives high output and if the output remains constant for a system the system fails so it should have at least one low output.
What do you suggest now

hi badar,
Did you look at the wiki web link, I posted?

Gray code encoder units are commonly used for positioning or weighing applications, the worst case 'bit jitter' error is one bit.

You could consider how precise the actual switch coding of the rotating disc would have to be if a binary code was imprinted on the encoder disc.
A minor misalignment of the disc/detectors could result in a major error.

What part of the logic Binary to Gray logic have you designed so far?

Can you post your diagram?

EDIT:
Extract from wikiweb, you should be able to draw up a truth table from this listing??

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
What part of the logic Binary to Gray logic have you designed so far?

Can you post your diagram?
May be this seems ridiculus but Actually i am not yet designing a circuit using 74LS08 or any other gates.
I just have to construct a truth table now that gives high output for gray codes.
It is a 4 bit system.
I hope I'll not have any problems with the circuitry etc.I just have to construct a truth table.

The original question is just a bit ambiguous. It seems to imply that some subset of the sixteen possible combinations of four bits is "Gray Code", and the rest are not. This is rubbish. Part of the problem is that a problem specification such as the one you were given has NO SOLUTION. Good luck finding one.

You can convince yourself of this salient fact by writing the sixteen different value in such a way that they are in a Gray Code sequence, AND the successor of the last element will be the first element.

There are at least two ways to make a Gray Code Counter.
  1. Binary Counter with Binary to Gray Converter
  2. State machine that counts in Gray Code Sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back