Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Imagine the 10th dimension - a nice demonstration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

In string theory, physicists tell us that the subatomic particles that make up our universe are created within ten spatial dimensions (plus an additional dimension of time) by the vibrations of exquisitely small "superstrings". The average person has barely gotten used to the idea of there being four dimensions: how can we possibly imagine the tenth?

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

:eek:

Very interesting, but over my head. I'm one of the average that struggles to grasp the 4th dimension. I don't understand the folding. How do some people think its possible to do?

Last edited:
It is not possible to 'fold' it is however a useful thought concept to understand how higher levels of existence can exist.

I don't understand the folding. How do some people think its possible to do?
The 2 dimensional ant cannot fold the paper, only someone from the 3rd dimensional world such as yourself could "teleport" the ant by folding the paper on which it lives. Maybe we are being fooled into teleporting 2D ants whenever we follow the 2 dimensional instructions "Fold along the dotted line and seal the envelope".... :D

Last edited:
Mind you we are primarly as an observable species stuck in three dimensons and glued almost completly to the whim of time. Our awarness is forever streaked across it's perceived advance and unable to hold any awareness outside of it, aside from atempted repetion of events in our own awareness. Isn't that how we gain knowledge? Repetion of the same events over time? Wouldn't that be a transfer effect of subsampling the 5th dimension? =) Any other reality outside of our observerable set can exist only mathmatically. As if we were able to observe it or be conciously aware of it, we'd become part of it. Something like that anyways.

Isn't that how we gain knowledge? Repetion of the same events over time?
Some of us need more repetion than others. :D
The part I couldn't really get my mind around was the need for the 10 dimension. If you have infinity in the 9th what more do you need? Doesn't infinity mean that everything that can happen, has happend, has already happened, will continue to happen, is happening everywhere, etc.... How does adding two infinities make more when it already was infinite and essentially has no size or limit anyway....

Any study of mathmatics will show you that infinities are quiet common, and stacking them is perfectly reasonable.

Actually the web site says there are 10 dimmensions plus time.. Not sure why they don't just say 11, but probably because 11 isn't as 'pretty' a number as the nice round 10.

I thought they dumbed things down just a little bit too much, but it was still a great series. Definitly a must watch for anyone.

Wouldn't something like 12 dimensions just be 3 parallel world like ours? Each with 4 dimensions running cocurrently? Isn't it the same way you can graph a 3D graph on 2D by making "sets" of 2D graphs? Or how you can graph 4D using "sets" of 3D graphs (ie. a bunch of 3D graphs drawn along a "timeline". Each 3D graph representing a different point in time).

Higher dimensions are harder for us to understand because we are in such a low dimension.

They nest though, every higher dimension has to have all of the lower dimensions bellow it encapsulated within it. And they're not exactly harder for us to understand, it's impossible. Any imaginary way we decide to think of it is really irrelevent as we can not possibly comprehend something outside of our own existence. 4D hyper cubes and any other visual method of imaging even a single extra dimension are at best human contrivances to atempt to understand something it can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back