Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Images on EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErosYokoyani

I like want to load images on EEPROM :confused: for displaying like web server with PIC interface... Can somebody helpme to learn this?

I think to make the conversion from JPG (or some format) to Hex code... (or something else) but I don't know how to make...

thanks.

Last edited:
How many EEPROMS do you have? What size are they? How much information do you think is in one image? A JPEG file is already in a form suitable for storage directly into any kind of memory device. Bits is bits after all.

Last edited:
Papabravo:

Thanks for you time.

I have only one for experiment (24LC128) maybe for implement call for twice images... Now, two questions:

How do you load image in EEPROM? (which program do it?)

and...

How do you "call" images (from EEPROM to microcontroller)?

My propose is to have many control in Memory code of micro and "calls" images stored in EEPROM, from the micro sends it by USART (or something else)

I think about the reading process...

1.- The micro "calls" by I2C to the images previously load in the EEPROM, only fist 2 bytes for example.

2.- When the micro recieves these data are sent by USART...

3.- The process continues with the second image's 2 bytes...

(I imagine the HTML code output from micro, or isn't it?)

thanks

Take a look at the application notes for the MicroChip ENC28J60 ethernet controller. The code includes a simple file system code in C for the 18F series PIC along with an EXE for converting HTML, JPG etc into a HEX format that the PIC can serve up as a web page via the ENC28J60.
Checkout the MICROCHIP FILE SYSTEM (MPFS) in this doc:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/04/00833b.pdf

A 24LC128 can hold 128K bits of information, or 16K bytes. This might be enough for one thumnail image. A full size image would take on the order of 40 chips. You would use I2C or SPI interfaces to write the data to the device and read the data from the device. I was thinking that you would store and retrieve .jpeg(.jpg) files in binary one byte at a time. I can't begin to tell you how to create or decode them, but I'm pretty sure there is no HTML involved.

It depends on the picture as to how much data it will hold. If you’re using a 128 * 64 pixel image (this is just an example for GLCD's), image size can be up to 128 * 64 = 8192 bytes. Why? Well that’s because it needs to know whether to put a 'dot' or not on every co-ord.

If your using Swordfish, displaying images is pie on GLCD's, maybe this would help you, I'm not sure?

Use the free download Monochrome Image Converter and then crop the image that you want, it will create the code, and presto - graphic images

Attachments

• C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 247
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 190
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 207
  • c4.JPG
    c4.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 187
  • c5.JPG
    c5.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 208
thanks kchriste, Papabravo and gramo.

Your help and comments are very useful, welcome more!!! :D

I apreciate very much your time, I post my progress and comments about development of this project.

Best Regards

you may want consider using a SD card (secure digital formally known as multimedia card) as your "mass storage" media. A simple SPI interface is all that's required, and there are lots of different examples out there for reading and writing to one.

There's also Dosonchip that handles all the nitty gritty for you:
**broken link removed**

oh, the point of this post ... once you're using an SD card, loading files is easy! just copy them to the card using a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back