Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Image for volume dial / control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Hi,

Hope this is the right place for this question. I am looking for an image to use as a label on a control pot. It is like a volume control, starting thin, then expanding as you rotate around, possibly also with a gradient. Does that make sense? I can't seem to find anything online. Perhaps I am not using the right terms.

If anyone knows where I can find such an image or how I could do this in photoshop, please let me know.

Thanks!

I might be able to make one for ya. I'll have to wait until I get home though, I don't currently have an image editor installed and configured to my liking (nor do I like doing this sort of thing on a laptops touch pad, one of the few things I'd like to have a mouse for while on a laptop).

You might take a look at this:

There's a demo version you can download, and copy the screen to get the graphic you want.

I've just downloaded the demo, and it does exactly what you want.

In Photoshop (or like software) I think the way to do it would be working with nodes. Start with a shape like a triangle then work with the nodes of the shape. That should get you going or Google Photoshop and Nodes.

Ron

EDIT: Nigel has a better solution. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That software does look useful, but I still hope to be able to create custom ones with gradients etc so I will have a look at the nodes too.

If you manage to make one janagyjr, that would be great, hope you can give me some idea of your technique.

Thanks guys. That software does look useful, but I still hope to be able to create custom ones with gradients etc so I will have a look at the nodes too.

If you manage to make one janagyjr, that would be great, hope you can give me some idea of your technique.

Have you downloaded the demo?, doesn't that allow you to do what you want?, it seems pretty versatile.

Are the attached similar to what you are looking for? They aren't scaled or anything and I didn't bother to graduate the transitions in them. They were done using some shapes and nodes in about a 10 year old version of JASC Paint Shop Pro 7.0. They are very crude but you should get the idea.

I also did download the Front Panel demo. Pretty nice stuff, thanks Nigel for the pointer to it. I haven't tried it much other than opening it.

Ron

Attachments

• Vol1.png
    Vol1.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Vol2.png
    Vol2.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Vol3.png
    Vol3.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 136
Hello there,

Just in case anyone is interested, the generator functions for that kind of image are very simple.

The bounding shape functions could be Archimedes spirals, with equations
r1=a1*TH+k and r2=a2*TH+k with a2 != a1

and the radial density function is simply
y=m*TH+b

where TH stands for the Greek letter Theta and stands for angle as usual, and expressed in rads would be less than 2*pi. The starting angle can be anything depending on where you want the shape to start and the increment could be negative.

These generator functions would be used to determine the position and brightness of each point if we wanted to draw this image ourselves.

Another possibility for the bounding shape functions is to use two logarithmic spirals instead.

Last edited:
You can probably just use Power Point if you have it. I use it for all kinds of graphics, including those on my website

I am very sorry that I haven't posted the image yet, I've just been very busy this past week (I am engaged as of 4 February 2011, date set for 23 July 2011) and will continue to be so. Even though others have already posted theirs, I /will/ make something, good to my word, that will be usable for you (not that the others aren't). :)

I am very sorry that I haven't posted the image yet, I've just been very busy this past week (I am engaged as of 4 February 2011, date set for 23 July 2011) and will continue to be so. Even though others have already posted theirs, I /will/ make something, good to my word, that will be usable for you (not that the others aren't). :)

Well then an off topic congratulations is in order, that or a note of sympathy. :) Seriously, congrats and best wishes.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back