Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Image Capture Using A Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

alopes

Morning! i'm making a school work related with image capture using a microcontroller.
This work is totally new for me, reason why i'm having some difficulties. It consists in the using of a digital camera with 640 x 480 pixels resolution (VGA), that reads 30 frames per second. The microcontroller PIC24f is connected with a SD card where the data is stored.
I ask if it is possible to record directly the data in the SD card or if it is necessary a memory RAM connected to the microcontroller and what type?
I really appreciate any clarification.

There are several options for the SD card interface. Which one did you have in mind?
Code:
640 x 480 = 307,200 pixels
307,200 pixels/frame * 30 frames/second = 9.216 Megapixels per second
If each pixel takes 24 bits that is 221.184 Megabits/second
I think you have no prayer of capturing data and recording directly on an SD card at that rate. I could be wrong, but I think 80 Megabits/second might be a practical upper bound.

Last edited:
I think you have no prayer of capturing data and recording directly on an SD card at that rate. I could be wrong, but I think 80 Megabits/second might be a practical upper bound.
According to **broken link removed** the maximum guarenteed sustained data read rate is 48Mb/S

Dan

Well 20 MHz is about the max for an SPI interface which the SDI card supports, and I multiplied by 4 to get the upper bound for the 4-bit wide transfers. I did say it was an upper bound, and it seems that the actual upper bound is a bit lower. That is science and technology for ya.

thank you for your replys! the camera that i use is the VS6724 from ST, each pixel is 16 bit or 8 bit, depending of the quality we want! I ask what microcontroller should I use and if I need to use a FIFO between the camera and the microcontroller? thank you.

regards

alopes

thank you for your replys! the camera that i use is the VS6724 from ST, each pixel is 16 bit or 8 bit, depending of the quality we want! I ask what microcontroller should I use and if I need to use a FIFO between the camera and the microcontroller? thank you.

Try working out how much data that will create, and how fast you can shift it with a PIC, or how fast you can store it in an SD card.

the data output from the camera will be at a 1.3MB/s. I have been searching for microcontrollers, the PIC32 will resolve my problem? or the ARM9? I still have to use RAM to be able to store d video file in the SD card?
thank you

aplopes

the data output from the camera will be at a 1.3MB/s. I have been searching for microcontrollers, the PIC32 will resolve my problem? or the ARM9? I still have to use RAM to be able to store d video file in the SD card?
thank you

aplopes
how do you figure that? that is the tiniest fraction of the image data rate.

if you want to capture an image..you are just reading a single frame from the camera...that makes it just 300 kb...
look for a snapshot command in the datasheet of your camera module..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back