Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm trying to make a new kind of Zoetrope... and measure earth's gravitational acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowWaily

Maybe you all can help!

I am a physics major and electronics is not my strength.

Here’s the situation: I have certain materials with which I need to accomplish a certain task (that being, to make my zoetrope)

I. The task

• Make a stepper motor rotate at certain rpms.
• Make 5 LED’s flash with the same frequency of the motor’s rpm “frequency,” or with a frequency which is a multiple of the rpm “frequency.”

(I'll be using the stepper motor to oscillate a series of water outlets back and forth, then the LED's will flash on every time the outlets return to a certain location, this will give the water "waves" the appearance of being frozen in place. Cool side note: I think I might be able to use this type of "zoetrope" to measure earth's gravitational acceleration...)

II. The materials

• Two small bread boards o One of them came with a nifty pallet connection with a USB power port, a button, LED and something else, I assume this can be used in various and sundry ways…
• Micro-controller
• Various capacitors, resistors, etc…
• 1600 MHz crystals
• 5pcs 3W UV Purple LED light bulb lamp 20mm star bean SMD SMT
• FTDI USB Controller 3 3V 5V Female Firmware Loader
• EasyDriver Shield stepping Stepper Motor Driver V44 A3967 for Arduino N 89
• 700mA flexblock constant current driver for the LEDs

What have I done so far?

I assembled a basic arduino circuit based on the instructions in the link below:

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/JamecoBuilds/arduinocircuit.html?CID=arduinobuild

I am not sure how to continue at this point… I need some pointers. Got any ideas?

p.s. pardon my messy wires on the breadboard, I am going to clean those up before I am done. I just didn't want to cut and clean a bunch of wires yet (especially since they all came with such nice tips!)

20160309_184824.jpg
20160309_184940.jpg
20160309_184740.jpg

Last edited:
Start with a design spec that defines all input and output functions without implementation in mind.
It can be in point form with a matrix of logic functions with time response expected.

what can you do so far with the tools you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back