Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm starting to like Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I never thought this would have happened, but I am starting to like Eagle. More so than Mentor Graphics PADS. It caught an error today in a schematic that PADS would have missed, and it would have been a bad problem on a board.

It takes time, a LONG time, but it's really quite decent software.

Don't keep complimenting Eagle please guys, I've just paid out for Diptrace! LOL
I really like it though, and picked it up quicker than Eagle. The annoying thing is, that I had maxxed out the 250 pin limit on the freeware version, and bought the 1000 pin package, but when I redesigned the circuit it only used 235 pins.. Having said that, you can't export gerber files in freeware, so I needed a full package anyway. What are the freeware limitations for Eagle?

Jim

As follows, but it is rare that they will cause you problems.
The EAGLE Light Edition can be used for free!

Limitations

The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:
The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
The schematic editor can only create one sheet.
Apart from these three limitiations the EAGLE Light Edition can do anything the Professional Edition can do. You can even load, view and print drawings that exceed these limits!

I think you have Stockholm syndrome from being locked up with Eagle for so long.

It was the ease of creating new part libraries that made me choose Diptrace..
I always doubt whether I made the right choice with software. I spent about a month toying between Autocad Inventor, and Solidworks, and I spent about 6 months after parting with over £4000 for Solidworks, wondering if i had made the right choice! I think I did luckily :)

The library management sucks. That's my main complaint with the software. And I don't use the autorouter (because all autorouters suck). But all the annoying things I used to hate don't bother me anymore and I'm actually getting quite proficient in it.

I have to agree that I do not much care for the way Eagle handles libraries. I think/hope this will get better with time. It is a bit ugly when you first start and have to search for each part. Once you do a few boards you either make a lib of the parts you use or know where to find them.

Solidworks. Our voc-tech teacher gave me one of his PC's. I had to replaced the drive to get it working ... but he said he would give me one of the solidworks seats to go with it. Should be handy. Up to now I have been using sketchup fo illustrations.

It looks like we will be entering the BEST robotic's competition and we also have access to Solidworks of some flavor but as far as I know we still do not have a CAM solution to get the Solidworks designs onto the milling machine. Everything in time.

EDIT: Sorry if I morphed the thread :)

Last edited:
LOL @ 'Morphed' 3V0..:)
Most of my work involves sheet-metal, and Solidworks saves me hours with its un-folding ability, especially on complex parts. A properly constrained model, is so easy to modify in SW. I know it was a fairly big outlay, but the hours saved easily out weighs the cost

Origami with an attitude!

LOL @ 'Morphed' 3V0..:)
Most of my work involves sheet-metal, and Solidworks saves me hours with its un-folding ability, especially on complex parts. A properly constrained model, is so easy to modify in SW. I know it was a fairly big outlay, but the hours saved easily out weighs the cost

What are the freeware limitations for Eagle?

Jim

Hi Jim,

freeware limitations for Eagle "light":

max board size 80 X 80mm (3.15 X 3.15")
schematics may only contain one sheet (normally unrestricted)

Absolutely no limitation on components and pincount!

Here is a (built in) trick for bigger size boards: Importing any file from a lower version e.g. version 4.16 the board size is unlimited. Eagle version 3.55 can also be handled by version 5.0, but have to go through 4.16 prior loading.

Limited board size = Prgrammer's error. :D

Hans

Last edited:
I like Eagle too. You can download "Viewmate" for free to check your Gerbers when your done.

I made a little help file I use from time to time that may help new users.

Attachments

• Making-Gerbers.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 177
I must say, I've been using the free version for my own stuff for about two years now, with a huge library of custom parts, and little tips n tricks, it is great. Of course once you get used to its quirks. I use it for all PCB's, including the layout for stripboard prototypes, pad-per-hole proto's...pretty much everything. Auto-route is useless for all but the simplest projects, but isn't it always?

Its ability to signal and configure power/ground planes is very handy, I haven't used a software that makes it as simple as eagle does...yet..

BT

I have been a P-Cad user for over twenty years.....back to when it was first called Tango.

I am still using a version that is 8 years old....and it does everything I need.

I guess what I am saying is......the value in a CAD package is what you put into it to customize it for your productivity!

I love laying out boards!

All I need is a trackball and a six pack and I can earn good money!:D

I have been a P-Cad user for over twenty years.....back to when it was first called Tango.

I am still using a version that is 8 years old....and it does everything I need.

I guess what I am saying is......the value in a CAD package is what you put into it to customize it for your productivity!

I love laying out boards!

All I need is a trackball and a six pack and I can earn good money!:D

Yeah, but does it do Gerb274X? If not allot of board houses my not support your cam files anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back