Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin

My top LCD screen for my Nintendo DS cracked. I was trying to replace the screen but I ran into a problem. I'm trying to get this wire (circled blue) into this (circled red). Those other 2 slots have notches to hold the wires in place. I lifted the notches to release those wires but the last one is the one I'm stuck on. I yanked the wire (circled blue) out of the slot (circle red) because I think that this slot doesn't have a notch. Now, my new LCD wire won't fit into that slot. Do I need to use force to put it in or is there a notch on the slot? I don't know because it's a very small slot.

Attachments

• DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00047.JPG
    DSC00047.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 216
Check for a clear plastic tab on the cable near the end; you should be able to use a finger or jeweler's screwdriver/pliers to gently push it in place.

(Never cracked open a DS before, but most cables like that are the same that I've worked with.)

Hi,

Look at the small slot, there may be tabs which either lift up, or slide towards the edge of the board (looking at the picture, try looking for tabs at either side which slide downwards - towards the bottom of the picture)
If you find these, slide them down slightly, inser the wire, then useing a very small scredriver, carefully slide the tabs back up to lock the cable in place.

This kind of connector is used a lot in mobile phones and other handheld devices.

Hope this helps

The one circled red in the second picture looks like a 0.5mm interal 4-pin FPC connector. It might be used as the interface for the touch panel.

I have two connectors of the same type. And I just took a picture of them with my cellphone(sorry for the quality, my digital camera is broken). Check the one on your board, there's a black edge on the slot. Use your fingernail to gently pull it out a little bit(about 1.5mm), like shown in my picture. Now you can insert the cable, and then you should push the locking edge back. Remember, the conductive side of the cable should be faced UP.

Attachments

• IMG0031A.jpg
    IMG0031A.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Alex_rcpilot said:
The one circled red in the second picture looks like a 0.5mm interal 4-pin FPC connector. It might be used as the interface for the touch panel.

I have two connectors of the same type. And I just took a picture of them with my cellphone(sorry for the quality, my digital camera is broken). Check the one on your board, there's a black edge on the slot. Use your fingernail to gently pull it out a little bit(about 1.5mm), like shown in my picture. Now you can insert the cable, and then you should push the locking edge back. Remember, the conductive side of the cable should be faced UP.

THANKS DUDE YOU'RE THE MAN!!! IT WORKED!!!!

Ok, received the replacement lcd screen today, now I still can't put that ribbon in! I slide the tab fingaz out but only 1/4 of the ribbon fits in! I try to use a little bit of force but it still won't fit in!

All I can suggest is to try wiggling the ribbon around to see if you can get it to fit. compare the old and new ribbins, are they the same size? maybe the new one is slightly larger and that's why it won't fit.

Make sure there's nothng stuck in the socket blocking the new cable from going in properly.
Try putting the old cable back in to see if that fit's ok. . .

Have you tried just pushing it in as far as you can get it to go, then clamping the tab down and see if it works like that? sometimes because you've pulled the tabs out, it doesn't look like it's goin in properly, but it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back