Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm Just Curious, But I'm Not Going To Try It :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Today at work I happened to find myself wondering what would happen if someone took say a 8 guage wire, and had a 12v car battery, and they placed one side of that wire on the positive terminal of the car battery, and then placed the other side of the cable to the negative terminal of the car battery. I know a large spark would occur, HOWEVER, what if they just left the wire connected instead of taking the wire off like we normally would if we made that mistake?

Would the battery explode?
Would the wire heat up so much it would catch on fire, and if so, would the copper wire inside eventually melt completely?
Would the battery drain it's power quicker this way and eventually stop spitting out sparks?

I kinda just want to see a video of this happening or a few pictures, but not sure what search terms to use in Google or YouTube lol. :D

Last edited:
Basically the insulation would melt and the wire would melt.

In a car there are items known as "fusable links" which are pieces of low gauge wire which act as fuses. They are in a controlled environment. In a foreign car they may be in the engine compartment fuse box and sometimes as a short length of wire attached to the alternator.

A wrench pr screwdriver cam be a hazzard in a number of ways. If the wrench welds (not likely with lead), then the battery could overheat and explode spewing acid. The hot wrench can be propelled as a projectile at the user as well. The hydrogen released also becomes flammable.

The terminology is "arc flash". Here https://www.electrotechnik.net/2011_03_01_archive.html is one such picture, not of a 12V battery, but of the penomenon in general.

Shorting a standard 9V battery will also get pretty warm quickly.

You are beginning to scare me!

Go find the ampacity ratings for AWG 8 copper wire. Now what the hell do you think will happen? You will likely never make the connection through the flash. Read up on arc flash as a side note. Assuming you could make the connection the wire will melt. The battery will likely not explode. When you engage the starter motor on a large car or truck how much current does the starter draw? Does the battery explode?

Ron

You are beginning to scare me!

Go find the ampacity ratings for AWG 8 copper wire. Now what the hell do you think will happen? You will likely never make the connection through the flash. Read up on arc flash as a side note. Assuming you could make the connection the wire will melt. The battery will likely not explode. When you engage the starter motor on a large car or truck how much current does the starter draw? Does the battery explode?

Ron

Was just a random harmless out of the box curious question is all, no need to fear my friend :D I found a few videos as well...just interesting to see.

The wire will probably get red, or even white hot, and probably start a fire. If it takes longer for the wire to melt and break the connection than the inside of the battery to melt, it definitely could. Bad idea, no matter what. Here's a youtube video of putting low-voltage at a high current through a piece of metal. I imagine what you are suggesting wouldn't be too much different. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJzpYznn-Y

Here's another one--slightly thinner wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73SQZU4Puo

For an 8-gauge wire on a car battery, use your imagination :D
Der Strom

As an old ex mechanic.. a drop test on a battery does just this... However if the battery has just been charged there IS a chance of explosion

....Audi 90 75Ah battery recently charged....me drop testing.... me very sore covered in acid..... ambulance ride... nee naw nee naw...I couldn't hear for about two hours.

Was just a random harmless out of the box curious question is all, no need to fear my friend :D I found a few videos as well...just interesting to see.

Then I am sure you will find a few of these clips amusing.

You have asked countless questions concerning motors and current, with a focus on current in these forums. I would have thought that following what you have learned that you would have known the answer to your initial question in this thread long before posting it. Anyway, check out the link as there are some interesting arcs and sparks in it.

Ron

Last edited:
As an old ex mechanic.. a drop test on a battery does just this... However if the battery has just been charged there IS a chance of explosion

....Audi 90 75Ah battery recently charged....me drop testing.... me very sore covered in acid..... ambulance ride... nee naw nee naw...I couldn't hear for about two hours.

1964 Chevrolet. Know why when replacing the battery always connect the positive terminal first? :)

Because if the battery is still bubbling hydrogen gas and the negative is connected and you place wrench on positive and bump chassis then bad things happen. The brief minor short on the battery was nothing. The small spark that ignited the hydrogen was a real *****. The flash, the bang, and all that damn acid all over me. I feel your pain Ian as been there and done that. I was lucky to retain my sight following that screw up.

Ron

I would have thought that following what you have learned that you would have known the answer to your initial question in this thread long before posting it.
Ron

Nah, I mostly just wanted to view some videos/images of it happening and my other questions had nothing to do with exploding batteries or the results of a continuous arcing battery connection :)

Thx for the info though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back