Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm getting a shed......

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

OK this might not be the kind of admission that would get you weak at the knees but for me it feels like a big step forward for mankind (in my house anyway).

I recall a thread I contributed to a while back where I admitted to doing my electronic tinkering at the kitchen table, I left the thread feeling somewhat inadequate, what with all you professionals with basements and fallout shelters :)

But I can now hold my head up high and join the men in sheds club where I can do my tinkering unmolested by family.

I now have one question though, living in the UK I reckon I can pretty much store all my bits in the shed but would storing sensitive stuff like oscilloscopes be a problem?

Happy days

Mark

So, would that be no to instruments like oscilloscopes and multimeters? Would this apply to ICs, resistors et al.

If the shed is dry and used on a regular basis, I don't see any big problem.

Problem comes if the shed is just used as a store and left for months on end with no heating, the damp will set in and equipment will suffer.

JimB

On edit:
PS, don't feel inadequate, I started in a shed many years ago when I was 13/14.
In the intervening years I have gone through various lesser accommodations and now have a room which at one end has all my electronic and radio stuff, and at the other end has my "office" for business.
I also have a loft full of stuff, and the garage is my mechanical workshop for when I want to do any "chassis bashing" or other odd mechanical bits to support the radio/electronics.

Just do the best you can with in the facilities and £££ available to you, and you will make progress.

JimB

Last edited:
Living on the "Wetcoast" of the PNW of NA I insulated the shed.I had a 60 W lightbulb, close to the floor, 24/7, in it (4'x6') during the winter season. Supplemented by a muffin fan. Cost was about $5/month and the shed was allways warm! E

make sure you have good security and a SMOKE alarm!! that was a tip given to me by eric gibbs and having had a small fire from a PSU i was glad i had fitted one with a remote feed to a buzzer in the house, i have a wooden workshop outside and i have left oscilloscope out there ok but make sure dureing the wetter colder months you have good ventillation and some kind of small heater to keep the damp at bay, also makes it nicer to work out there in the winter, theese days the outside workshop is mainly used by LG as i now have a room indoors that is my office/workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back