Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm Charging my Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All,

i have a lead acid battery 12 Volt 7AH.....i have bought since 2 months and i was use it very rarely. now i found it empty with volt of 11.8

so i'm chargig it using a normal computer power supply 12 volt , it's being charging now for about 2 hours but the volt doesn't exceed 11.9 .....what does it mean

why it stopped charging

You need a charger, NOT a power supply - in order for current to flow into the battery the charger feeding it has to be higher than the battery voltage. You can't charge a 12V battery (nominally 13.8V) off a 12V supply.

See the battery label shows what voltage & current use to charge. A 12V supply is not enough to charge a 12V battery.

For a float charge it needs 13.6V -14.0V
For fast charges it will be more around 14.7-15V

the label says.

normal charge 14.4 - 15.0 volt 2.1 A
standby/trickle 13.5-13.8 Volt 2.1 A

i think i have to build a charger .... i used the powersupply because i thougth it would be enough

The right way to do it is a charger of course.

But I have found cheap 12VDC wallwarts that are 14-15 and used them for a trickle charge. It will take a while based on the current it can provide. But a though until you do build/buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back