Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm a Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

TY 8701

Can someone help a poor old ME..... I'm working on a project to open/close a 12v Solenoid valve and run a mini 12v dc water pump for (1sec to 60sec.) simultaneously, then shut off and run two 24v dc motors simultaneously for (1sec to 60sec.) and shut off. I would like to use a switch that turns this process on (manual) but off automatically. The mechanical stuff I'm OK with, but I'm not really sure how to do this. What steps do I need to take to achieve this, 555 timer?

What's your electronics background? You don't want to dive in if all you want is a plug and play solution. You can find pre-built timer kits online that will do what you want with minimal electronics knowledge. We might be able to point you in a better direction if we knew what you were willing/wanting to do and your electronics capabilities.

I didn't know that there where pre-built timer kits. Really just looking to open a solenoid valve, and power a motor at the same time for 1 to 60 sec. and shut them off. then start up two more motors for 60 sec and shut off. I will be purchasing equipment and components to meet my needs, just not sure whats the cheapest easiest way about do this. If using a pre-built timer, would you plug the pre-built timer kit to relay, motor, valve and power source. So once the relay is switched the timer,valve, and motor would power on, then would be shut off by the timer once it reaches its preset time? that basically what I'm after

Last edited:
Repeat the sequence automatically?

anything will require an investment. Some options:

1. Prepackaged timers
2. A mini PLC/smart relay. Lookup idec smart relay
3. A BASIC programmable processer
4. Build your own
5. Search for modicon

Industry might use 2. Software is free to use and offers simulation.
A development KIT is required. Can have an operator interface.
You still need the I/O interfaces.

Modules are probably your best bet, most of the work is done for you, the hard part is finding the right modules.
A quick Google and I found something like this.
**broken link removed**
Two of which would work for your needs.
Another good hit was
**broken link removed**

Given the information you find on those two pages you should be able to find more sites that sell similar timers, you want a pretty short duration so try to go with a module that's designed for that rather than the 1+ hour timers as you'll have a bit of a tough time tweaking the delays properly. Just verify the current draw of your pump/motor to make sure the relay is rated for it and you should be all set. The only thing I'd worry about is 12V motors tend to draw relatively high current so relays tend to have to be heavily over rated.

Three modules would do what you want, one to trigger on that turns the motor/pump on for the first 60, then a delayed timer to wait 60 seconds and turn on the other two motors for 60 seconds, and then the third timer would be one that would cycle both of the first timers for whatever time period you needed. If the cycle is manually triggered only two timers (one with a delay) would be needed.

Hunt around for the basic timers and start there, that'll get what you want for 45 bucks (give or take for shipping) with very little extra to purchase other than wiring. The other products that KISS recommends will work as well, probably cost quiet a bit more as well and are probably overkill for your needs. BUT if you want to learn more from this then starting with a micro controller (PIC or AVR are good choices) and learn how to use them to trigger relays and other basic circuits you can do a LOT more. Microcontrollers are sort of like swiss army knives with good tools on them, once you have one you'll never want to be without it because of all the things you can do with them, and the cost is relativly low as long as you want to learn and aren't afraid of the software side of things.

Last edited:
By the way, don't be a Noob =) I picked up this definition a ways back and it's a very important one to my way of thinking.

Noobs are people that keep asking the same questions over and over again without learning or putting forth any true effort, basically they're hangers on.

Newb/Newbies are simply people that don't know jack and are trying to get their feet wet in a complicated subject.

I hope you're the later =)

Thanks guys for your help, I think I'm gonna head the electronic timers route. Oh, yea I would consider myself a Newb...Sceadwian :)

Good luck to you TY, it's a VAST world of information. The sounding board here is best used when you hit roadblocks, there's so much raw information available on the net true understanding of it takes a lot of time, and practice. A dictionary, Wikipedia, and Google are your best friend, but if you find yourself spending hours absorbing information without understanding, spew on here. People will help the best they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back