Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I'm a beginner and want to make my own radio transmitter / receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I've been looking on the web at some schematics, etc. I don't fully understand them but I want to give them a go anyway.

I have one question to start with:

I'm going to follow this guide to start with:
**broken link removed**

Is it possible to use a different crystal other than 1MHz?

What about this one?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/32-0000-CRYSTAL-OSCILLATOR-32MHZ-32-MHZ-IQXO500C-IQXO-/280481436904?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item414dff14e8

Can I still follow the guide with this crystal?

Do I even have to use one which is the same shape? There are some with different shapes, are they any good?

Eventually, what I want to do is make 2 of my surround sound speakers wireless. The two will need to be on different frequencies because they are different channels and also they will be around about 3 - 4 meters away from the transmitter.

My satalite speakers have space inside the shell for batteries and a receiver I think. I'm excited!

I could even turn my music on and take the speakers outside for when I'm in the garden!

Ok, also I realise that my product isn't going to be great to start with but I'll learn and make it better. I just want to start with this.

Please help!

Ant..

The AM transmitter page plainly states that you need a crystal between 0.9 to 1.2MHz, so why would you think that a 32MHz crystal would work? Do you even know what a Hz is?

The package shape is unimportant.

AM does not give particularly good sound quality for your surround sound speakers. FM is much better.

Ant, I too would like to build an integrated transmitter and reciever with all of the other components required for matching and amplifying the system. There is a huge resource at the very beginning of the Rf sub-forum that will give you many hours of good reading. The gist of most of it is that that approach is not really a good one any longer. Seems the old school Heath Kits and those types of stuff have gone by the wayside. I was interested in building an old school HAM rig and getting a proper license, but the radios are very expensive and there are very few kits to do that, that are available for novice electronics enthusiasts like us. Most of the kits are for advanced builders and use very advanced assembly and SMD techniques. If you find something that is in the other range PM me, as I would be interested in it too.
Bob

Copyrighted material deleted - Moderator.

Please do not post illegal copyrighted material on these forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Talking Electronics books are still around and some of his radio transmitters and receivers were very useful as a teaching medium . I still have some unmade kits but I will keep them . Interestingly one such kit was called "the ant". You could vary the frequencies

He's still posting on this board . I had a convo with him about 3 weeks back Colin Mitchell and his username is colin55. Send him a message maybe .My books go back to 1994. Got my full call with some of that information

ant said:
Is it possible to use a different crystal other than 1MHz?
What about this one?
cgi.ebay.co.uk/32-0000-CRYSTAL-OSCILLATOR-32MHZ-32-MHZ-IQXO500C-IQXO-/280481436904?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item414dff14e8
Can I still follow the guide with this crystal?
You can use any crystal u like in the transmitter which is what u are building . The principal is passing an electrical signal through a crystal produces vibrations. Vibrations can be 1 per second =1Hertz to any number/second. A 1Meg crystal produces 1,000,000 vibrations per second . 32Mhz=32,000,000 vibrations per second

So your radio receiver is going to pick up whats called a harmonic I suppose or a constant beat at 1,000 th of the frequency of what the crystal is putting out. I think thats how it goes but if not someone might correct me . Its the idea thats important here

If u use the 32Mhz crystal u would be looking for a harmonic of 32Mhz and I am not sure if there is one that would be available on your receiver so it may not work.Perhaps someone might enlighten both of us. I've forgotten more about radio than I dare to dwell on

Last edited:
The 1MHz crystal oscillator is picked up by a nearby AM broadcast band radio. It will be in the center of the dial, maybe on the same frequency as a local radio station. It will sound awful like an AM radio and will have the same amplitude interference (snaps, crackles, pops and buzzes) as an AM radio. It will also produce interference to other radios on its many harmonic frequencies.

That 1Mhz instructables is a crap yes!

Your project is totally nonsense..

Because how you are going to power the wireless satellite speakers ? A stable FM implementation needs two micromitters and high capacity rechargeable battery unit+FM receiver inside satellites..I think commercial wireless speakers use special costlier modules for this purpose. Not much idea on that.

I think this is that same other guy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back