Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ignore Feature on Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

EN0

There has been a request by several members of ETO to provide a new feature that enables a member on the Chat to ignore all incoming private messages. EM, if you would, please read the proposal below.

EN

Private Messaging Modification Proposal for ETO Chat

Overview

This document serves as an appeal to modify the private messaging, or whispering feature, in ETO Chat. Rude and impertinent private messages has become a concern for several members, and in order to promote the best interest of ETO, a proposal has been written below. This proposal offers a new complimentary feature that enables the user to inhibit incoming private messages whenever they deem necessary.

Private Messaging Ignore Feature

ETO members who wish to keep all messages public will be able to select their own individual "Ignore" feature. Not only will this feature inhibit incoming private messages for a given member, but it will also notify other members when they attempt to contact someone with that feature enabled.

For instance, if a member attempts to contact another member that has the private messaging ignore feature enabled, they will receive the following notification:

"This member would like to keep all incoming messages public. If you wish to whisper to them privately, please ask them publicly first."

There is one condition, however, in which this feature does not apply: moderators should be able to freely contact a particular member privately even if they have the ignore feature enabled.

Conclusion

The ignore private messaging ignore feature will help mitigate any rude and extraneous private messages that members do not wish to receive while still providing access if two or more members agree to do so publicly. As part of a constructive atmosphere, ETO members should treat others socially as they would in public. The request for this new feature encourages that policy, emphasizing a positive modification to the current private messaging feature.

I'll have a think about this. It's a good idea and the forum has that feature.. If anyone else wants to add their view please do.

I definitely agree that it would be a good idea. I'm not sure how much I would use it, but I'm sure I would at some point. I am just wondering if it would be possible to add some sort of indicator to the member doing the ignoring that someone tried to whisper to them? That way they can un-ignore if they want to. Just an idea I wanted to throw out there... :D

Thanks for posting anyway, EN0!

hi,
I find the most effective method of Ignoring a nuisance member is to simply Ignore them, I dont think its necessary to have all these extra bells and whistles adding to the Chat rooms.

If the nuisance member persists in disrupting the Chat room, bring it to the attention of the Moderators and let them deal with it.

E.

Last edited:
hi,
I find the most effective method of Ignoring a nuisance member is to simply Ignore them, I dont think its necessary to have all these extra bells and whistles adding to the Chat rooms.

If the nuisance member persists in disrupting the Chat room, bring it to the attention of the Moderators and let them deal with it.

E.

Eric, the problem is that some people get lots of whispers that are irrelevant and just take up space. Others may be overwhelmed by whispers, and they may want to ignore some of them from certain people without ignoring the member himself. Some members are just tired of being whispered to all the time, which is why I agree with this idea.

Eric, the problem is that some people get lots of whispers that are irrelevant and just take up space. Others may be overwhelmed by whispers, and they may want to ignore some of them from certain people without ignoring the member himself. Some members are just tired of being whispered to all the time, which is why I agree with this idea.

hi,
When people whisper to me on Chat when its not necessary, I answer normally and tell them not to whisper to me, its as simple as that.

If someone insists on whispering to you on chat after you have told them to stop, report the matter to a Moderator, we will take the appropriate action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back