Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ignition coil driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper77707

well noone answered me on the last on so ill try it again.i am trying to make an iginition coil driver.http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/5322/coildrv.htm
that is the one.i cannot get it to work.i have tried it many times but i just cannot make it work.i have tried taking the transistor out of the circuit and tried to use just a speaker it it wont even oscillate.the speaker is receiving electricity but it is not oscillating.please dont answer if you are going to say put a diode on the coil or a capacitor.i just want to know why the oscillator circuit will not work.

viper77707 said:
well noone answered me on the last on so ill try it again.i am trying to make an iginition coil driver.http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/5322/coildrv.htm
that is the one.i cannot get it to work.i have tried it many times but i just cannot make it work.i have tried taking the transistor out of the circuit and tried to use just a speaker it it wont even oscillate.the speaker is receiving electricity but it is not oscillating.please dont answer if you are going to say put a diode on the coil or a capacitor.i just want to know why the oscillator circuit will not work.
It's either wired wrong, or your 555 and/or your transistor is dead. Maybe it's wired wrong and you have a bad part. There is nothing wrong with the schematic. Can you post decent resolution pictures of the actual hardware?

i got it running but the sparks got smaller than at first.i let the transistor cool and i still get small smarks.i changed the duty (or whatever it is called)and it is still small.i changed the battery before it got small but this battery has more juice.and at first after i changed the battery it worked fine..any advice?

Flat Battery.
What battery are you using for the power source?

Those coils require around 6 amps of current.
Can your battery deliver 6 amps at 12 volts?

Last edited:
viper77707 said:
i got it running but the sparks got smaller than at first.i let the transistor cool and i still get small smarks.i changed the duty (or whatever it is called)and it is still small.i changed the battery before it got small but this battery has more juice.and at first after i changed the battery it worked fine..any advice?
The minimum frequency of your circuit, with both pots at 10k, is 436 Hz. This sounds pretty fast for an ignition coil. Try changing the cap to 1uF.

and it is pulling very little amps...probably 1 or 2 judging by the spark when i connect the battery.i tried using 50 ohms instead of 100 and had No improvement at all.and the coils are not making as much noise anymore

555 timers require a decouling capacitor to function properly.
The cmos type of 555 timers don't require them.

Last edited:
help

hey with a 240v ac ignition coil driver with cap would it be possible to use one of those modifies sine wave inverter instead of mains power here is a link to what i am talking about.**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back