Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT - how to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I'm building a hex bridge for a 230VAC induction motor controller for PWM and I can't get the right MOSFETs (very expensive) so I was thinking of IGBTs. I'm new to IGBTs so could someone provide me a circuit that shows how to turn them on and off with TTL or CMOS signals (PICs)?

Are SCRs better or are they too slow switching?
(A circuit for that if it's better)

Thanks

Ok thanks, but just another thing. I'm driving the 230VAC motor. How can I calculate the IGBT power when the motor is dissipating 5.3A? It's not 230V*5.3A=1219W?

You get the spec sheet on the device and see what the on-state resistance is. Use I-squared R to find the power in the IGBT. Allow for several times that because of the transition between saturation and cutoff will cause higher dissipations during the transition.

The manufacturer should have application notes that bear on your questions.

IGBT's don't have on resistance, they're BJT's they have a diode voltage drop, they're just driven by a bootstrapped Mosfet. That's why IGBT's are used in high voltage applications because on resistance increases with voltage in a mosfet, which is why IGBT's exist in the first place, the Mosfet drive only has to provide enough curent to saturate the actual drive transistor stage

It really depends on your switching speed requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back