Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Igbt help needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryboyz

Im dealing with the power igbt irg4bc40w. Which i need to control 600vac to 240vac. Anyone can share with me any circuit diagram which related to this igbt.? Hope someone can help me..

Thanks shortbus for the reply.. So if like im using rectifier to convert the ac to dc? Then convert it back to ac.. I already bought 5 irg4bc40w.

put the control IGBT inside a fast diode (not a bog standard AC) bridge and the load outside the bridge.

drive the igbt with a gate driver.

i'll be lazy and not look up to see if that igbt is 100KHz rated - some are only good for 1KHz switching.

feed the gate driver from your favorite PWM source

Ubergeek the problem with that circuit is you need a rather robust snubber, or you're going to fry the igbts. Mosfets won't die immediately but will fail eventually unless they can handle the avalanche current and energy.

Triacs do not have this problem because they turn off at zero current, thus they don't need a snubber except for rfi reduction.

If Larryboyz is trying to pwm an ac load off the mains, any energy stored in the inductance of the mains is dumped into the switch when it opens.

depending on the frequency and all that, the power that has to go somewhere can range from 1 watt to 1000.. and beyond. its not impossible to dump the energy back into the mains but the practical thing to do is just put a big capacitor across the mains, and a snubber across the switch.
the problem with that being, the capacitor must be able to handle a significant amount of rms current. significant as in about half of what the load draws.

More than a snubber, that thing's going to need a tricky gate driver - least painful route would probably involve a gate drive transformer.

Unless this is an exercise in using an igbt I would suggest getting a triac.

More than a snubber, that thing's going to need a tricky gate driver - least painful route would probably involve a gate drive transformer.

Unless this is an exercise in using an igbt I would suggest getting a triac.

i answered the question posted and DID say to use a gate driver.

and of course it would need a snubber

Ubergeek the problem with that circuit is you need a rather robust snubber, or you're going to fry the igbts. Mosfets won't die immediately but will fail eventually unless they can handle the avalanche current and energy.

Triacs do not have this problem because they turn off at zero current, thus they don't need a snubber except for rfi reduction.

If Larryboyz is trying to pwm an ac load off the mains, any energy stored in the inductance of the mains is dumped into the switch when it opens.

depending on the frequency and all that, the power that has to go somewhere can range from 1 watt to 1000.. and beyond. its not impossible to dump the energy back into the mains but the practical thing to do is just put a big capacitor across the mains, and a snubber across the switch.
the problem with that being, the capacitor must be able to handle a significant amount of rms current. significant as in about half of what the load draws.

of course.... but he did not specify the load

Hi there.. Thanks for all the ideas.. Now the problem i facing is i need to double my output voltage. As we know the microcontroller only provide 5vDC, and the igbt ideal voltage for gate is 15 vDc. I have try one circuit which using op-amp. When simulate in multisim, everything seem function but when i transfer it to real circuit, it didnt function as expected more worst the output voltage decrease to half of the input. Anyone can help me?

Op-amp- https://db.tt/1sYtVNjq

i answered the question posted and DID say to use a gate driver.

It needs more than a gate driver. Look at it. Where are you going to ground the gate driver? What's the positive supply on the gate driver? You aren't getting out of this without a transformer somewhere, which you didn't mention. If you intend to ground the gate driver to the source that's going to make the rest of the circuit "hot".

Last edited:
Look at the gate-source voltage.

Im trying to use igbt as switch. In the same time, i want to reduce the voltage of Vce according to voltage of Vg. Means that, when Vg=ov, Vce=240vDc, when Vg=15v, Vce=120v. Problem now is, the voltage from microcontroller only can supply 0-5v.. Anyone know what can pull up the voltage to 15 v but in the same time, the output voltage need to be variable which is depend on input voltage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back