Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IGBT DeSat: What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

I have a couple of cct that detects when an IGBT starts to desaturate. Now previously when this happened I would just turn-off the gate and flag-back to the control that a DeSat event occured

I designed a gateboard for a 800A device and a type1/type2 desat concideration had to be taken into account (this produced a complex gate-board)

The new one I am designing is for a 400A device, so the complex protexction isn't justified BUT a simple-turn-OFF isn't enough.

What else exists? I have heard of dropping the gate voltage from +15V to +10V (before turning off to -15V) to move the IGBT charcteristic onto a different I-V curve (to limit the desaturation current).

I plan to put 18V zeners back-to-back across the gate-emitter to stop the millar jacking the gate potential up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back