Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

If we fire a bullet to TV screen..what will happen ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuTu

if we stand in front of a TV . and we fire a bullet of some conducting material...then wat will happen .....under 2 condition...

1) what will happen if TV is OFF ??

2) what will happen if TV is ON ??

it's the question basically related to..the CRT (Cathode Rays Tube )....

wat i think is this...
when TV is on....when we foire...the bullet..
1st of all screen breaks..and as in front there is a cathode Gun...(whihc is firring Gun of e-)....then there will be blast...and some current shows of ...
well.. seriosly talking..
i have no concept..and want yr idea...so plz...wait for yr help..
ok
bye...
thanx for replying me...
<<< this is the question asked by my Electronics 1 course TEACHER >>>>

Very obscure question :lol:

The specifics of what actually happens probably varies wildly, but I could be pretty sure any effects caused by electrical discharge (which may or may not happen :?: ) will be barely noticeable in relation the the bullets impact, and would be over more or less instantly.

I don't see any relevance at all to an Electronics course?, is your teacher on some medication we don't know about? :lol:

As already suggested, it won't make any difference if it's turned on or not, in either case the bullet will implode the CRT - which will almost instantly stop the creation of the electron beam (which requires a vacuum to happen!).

The only relevent effect is the bullet smashing the glass, and the consequent implosion.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't see any relevance at all to an Electronics course?
This guy is into experimentation (the wrong way?). :shock:

If you actually did it, you could say you threw a bunch of money down the toilet and flushed it. In other words, it is NOT advisable to shoot a TV screen, especially if someone paid for it, and that someone is YOU.

I threw a rock at a TV once, and I heard a loud WUMPH as the vaccum escaped. that was it.

yeah...u r RIGHT ...

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't see any relevance at all to an Electronics course?, is your teacher on some medication we don't know about? :lol:

well..really...i like it...i think he is....
hey wel..how do u know my teacher better than me...
:lol:

ok..
well..thanx for yr so nice reply...i think u guyz just quite right...
i also think that some special will not happene ?? :twisted:

ok
thanx for yr replies...
ByE..

It's like those plasma packs in Ghostbusters, plasma streams shoot out and grab anything in the vicinity.
Sadly, I made that part up.

There's a video out there of a guy machine gunning a TV set. It's fairly anticlimactic, screen breaks, picture goes out, eventually it starts catching fire. I suspect they have added an accelerant to make it catch fire that well too.

zachtheterrible said:
as the vaccum escaped

Interesting concept? :lol: - a vacuum doesn't 'escape', air rushes in to fill the space - the tube actually implodes, but pieces fly outwards as they go through and out the other side, plus colliding in the middle and bouncing back.

I've smashed too many tubes to remember - but modern tubes (since the advent of colour) aren't as much fun, they use much better protected glass for the screen. Really old sets had a sheet of glass in front of the tube as protection, but with anything remotely modern it's built-in as part of the tube.

I thought about that a couple minutes after I posted and realized that it is the other way around :lol:

Incidentally, TVs are hard to smash!

Yep thats right.

me and ny frend found an old black and white TV.And my frend has thorwn an big rock at the screen but only an ping sound.Then the used an extra big rock.Then bang and the front part of the TV was blown off.Also some smoke.Yes we standed WELLL back.

You should se my face when that big rock bouced off the screen. :shock: "WTF!!! It didnt brak! I cant belive it!" The rock had about 2 kilograms and my frend thorwn it whith all his strenth.

Oh and an inposion sounds almost exstactly like an explosion.BANG!!!

Someone Electro said:
Yep thats right.

me and ny frend found an old black and white TV.And my frend has thorwn an big rock at the screen but only an ping sound.Then the used an extra big rock.Then bang and the front part of the TV was blown off.Also some smoke.Yes we standed WELLL back.

Yes, they are VERY strong from the front, the front has an extra layer of protective glass - the sides don't, but the weak part is the neck.

BTW, it's not 'smoke' (which suggests burning), it's phosphur material blown off the rear of the front glass.

Oh and an inposion sounds almost exstactly like an explosion.BANG!!!

There's very little difference really, both make a bang and pieces fly!.

Oznog said:
It's like those plasma packs in Ghostbusters, plasma streams shoot out and grab anything in the vicinity.
Sadly, I made that part up.

There's a video out there of a guy machine gunning a TV set. It's fairly anticlimactic, screen breaks, picture goes out, eventually it starts catching fire. I suspect they have added an accelerant to make it catch fire that well too.

i saw a guy who shot an old computer screen that got hit by lightning....was really kool....i didnt know the glass was like 1/2" think

ill look for this video now as im bored...
edit

here you go....
https://science.howstuffworks.com/what-if-shoot-tv.htm

from howstuffworks.com

great site but now they are covered in adds

If we fire a bullet to TV screen..what will happen ??

Now if you (as in you and a partner) carried the TV to the roof of a very tall building (how about the CN tower :lol: ), and both of you threw the TV off the roof with all your strengths, then we have a NICE broken TV.

maybe some fireworks too :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
- the tube actually implodes, but pieces fly outwards as they go through and out the other side, plus colliding in the middle and bouncing back.
:shock: So those do implode!?! I always thought that was a myth. I guess fact is stranger than fiction.

there is nothing inside the CRT so the atomsperic preshure is pushing it togeter.And then an small pice brakes the whole tube is not as strong and breaks.Thats why even if it one rock it will completly break it in many many pices.

Lightbulbs also inlpode because they have low preshure argon inside.But it not such an bang becuse is not vacum.

mstechca said:
Now if you (as in you and a partner) carried the TV to the roof of a very tall building (how about the CN tower :lol: ), and both of you threw the TV off the roof with all your strengths, then we have a NICE broken TV.

We've thrown them out of upstairs windows at work in the past :lol:

I've always said the quality of television's been falling.

Anyway, I had one of those anticlimatic screen breaks once when I droped my PC monitor during a move-in. The crash was folowed by about a half minute of hissing.

BANG !! TV kaput.

If i dismantle old tv's for parts, i usually take the rear cover off and tap the gun with a piece of wood, wsssshhhh!!! The glass at the neck of the tube cracks and the air flows in the tube , so the risk of an implosion is over.
Then strip out what i need and dispose of TV for rubbish.

I shot my bbgun at the back of a monitor. It had a Hissing sound them stopped. The glass was easier to break after works. I found that using a bb gun is the safest way to de pressurize a monitor. I used to use a shovel and hit the back of the glass or the tube till it broke.

Why "Risk of implosion"? The shards should be pulled inside.... Why yould anyone near have any risk of injury? It is not an explosion....

A nitwit in the batch before mine, knocked down the sodium vapour lamp used in spectroscope practicals. The teacher told our batch that the lamp was off... or it would have exploded... All I ever did was put water on a hot incandecent bulb. It cracked.... I do not recollect explosion or implosion.... I did it on a bulb in my bathroom while taking bath....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back