Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IEC with power switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

teratosis

Hi,

Could someone please give me info on how these are wired? I know the pin outs for the power side, not sure how the switch is wired. Attached image to post.

Thank you.

Attachments

• iecJacks.jpg
    iecJacks.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 195
In the US, I would use the switch to break the Line (black) side. Since you didn't put in a country when you registered, I can not suggest what you would do...

In the US, the Line is Black (carries load current , is at 120Vac with respect to ground).

The Neutral wire is White (carries return load current, is at 0V with respect to ground),

the Safety ground wire is Green (carries no current, is ground).

Sometimes the moulded IEC cords that plug into the item you showed have different internal wire colors, which are .

Last edited:
I believe the switch you have switches both the line and neutral conductors, You may need to use an ohmeter to determine how the 4 connections are switched.

I understand the IEC wiring not sure how to integrate that with the switch.

On the solder side of your switched receptical, connect a short black wire jumper from L to one side of the switch. Connect the output of the switch to the Line input of the power supply or whatever is in the box to which the receptical is mounted on.Even if the switch is a double pole switch, I would only break the Black Line wire side; not the Neutral.

You should also put a fuse in the long black wire between the switch and whatever load is in the box.

Last edited:
I suggest that you wire it up as I show in the attachment.

JimB

Attachments

• IEC Power Switch Wiring.JPG
    IEC Power Switch Wiring.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 164
Thanks, starting to make sense. On the switch the I and the O....... Does the O=on? I=off?

Just the opposite. 0 = logic false = Off; 1= logic true = On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back