Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identifying an inductor, is it irreparable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montus

I took apart a splitter for a pair of BOSE earbuds, and discovered a small circuit board inside. While investigating, two of what I believe to be inductors fell off and I was wondering why they fell off, how to indicate which side is negative, and by what method should re-attach them?

Screenshot_2016-10-30-18-39-24.png
Screenshot_2016-10-30-18-40-24.png
Screenshot_2016-10-30-18-41-01.png

They are not polarized.
This is not a splitter , it is just the Y connection to the head.
Re-soldering requires experience in SMT solder paste and thermal reflow with a hot-air nozzle , a special tool

If you can't fix it, you can always tried to bypass the contacts.

They probably came off from poor design or assembly, insufficient solder or overstressed by a user. Something this size probably needs and a structural agent to stiffen the PCB.
upload_2016-10-30_20-15-37.png

I do have a hot-air nozzle, so I'll just go get some SMT solder paste. Structurally I will try to make do with the plastic left over from disassembly and some heat shrink tubing. If I'm unsuccessful I'll do just that and bypass the contacts. Thank you.

I use Polyurethane construction adhesive after testing for rigid support. This often used for big PS passive parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back