Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify purpose of this phone related (filter?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been extending the phone system into the second building using only a pair from the bunch of twisted pairs for the network, but it seems the old corded phone doesn't ring even though it has dial tone and can dial out. When I plug this box in line with the phone it will ring.

It appears there is only a 470k resistor and a 1.8uF capacitor in it (see pic), I tried making another circuit so I can have two phones in there but it blocks out the dial tone.

I tried a cordless phone without this box connected and that will ring perfectly fine. I don't understand why one phone works and the other doesn't.

Thanks,

Jules

Attachments

• IMAG1359.jpg
    IMAG1359.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 142
Is DSL internet being transmitted along the same phone line?

Modern phones may have built-in filters (going out on a limb here) but older style corded ones usually need a line filter to separate out the DSL signals from the phone signals.

I can answer that one.

You need to connect pin 3 in the master box to pin 3 in the extension, the ring voltage goes through pin3 so some phones wont ring without it.

The reason why the cordless rings is that some cheaper non bt approved phones dont use pin3, the ring volatge is decoupled internally instead of the 1.8uF cap in the master box throughpin 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back