Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalMadness

Hi,

I have an aquarium pump to pump airthrough the water. The device is 12vac and has a small plug that I have never seen before. I have attached photos of the plug and pictures on the side of the box. I need to know the following:

1. what is it that the plug plugs into and where can I get it in the UK?
2. on the plug, which is + and which is -?

Thanks

Attachments

• Plug.png
    Plug.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Box.png
    Box.png
    339.1 KB · Views: 162
The Plug looks like an older Loudspeaker plug.
It was ( is ) used to connect HiFi Loudspeakers to the Amplifier.
You should get that on in an better HiFi Shop, or an Electronic dealer.
Sometimes in a Car accessories ( Audio ) Shop.
This plugs were there used also.

Normally the small round contact is used as + and the bigger flat is used as -.
But better test that out with an Voltmeter.

DIN plugs and sockets, all about them here:

[snip Wikipedia link]

Those are DIN connectors? I thought DINs were those round multi-pin connectors used for things like keyboards and mice here in the US. So is DIN a class of connector, not a specific type?

(The ones I'm referring to have a similar layout to our XLR microphone connectors, but are smaller.)

DIN is Deutches Institut fur Normung.

They create standards for stuff, the same as the BSI (British Standards Institute), and numerous others world wide.

There are numerous DIN connectors, DIN 41612 which comes in 32, 64 and 96 ways is common for plug-in circuit boards.

On the original IBM XT computer the keyboard connector was a 180degree 5 pin DIN plug.

I am not too sure about the newer stuff (before USB).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back