Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas welcome:- Power failure dead circuit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
I've no idea how to title this..

This is the scenario:-

I have a Maha Wizardone charger/analyzer for AA batteries. We can program this for the battery specifications.

For example I'm using 250mA charging mode and during the time suppose the power fails and you know, the charger reset to the default mode ie, charging@1Amp!

Obviously this may ruin some type of batteries and I'm much worried about my precious batteries.

So I need a solution for this. The key is to permanently turn off the charger once the power goes. I'll reset it manually once I notice this.

I assume it can't be done without a battery powered circuit with relay.

I need an efficient setup, Intelligent thoughts are most welcome!!

Your problem is not a fault of the charger. The problem is that your electrical utility allows the power fail. Fix your electrical utility company.

My electricity is designed to be reliable and it is very reliable. It has backups for nearly anything that could go wrong. It fails for a few seconds maybe every 2 or 3 years during a lightning storm. It failed for a few hours one time and we cheered and ran around in the dark.:D

If that is the case then we are cheering up and running around joyfully everyday better than you, especially during this monsoon season -too much of power outages.

Thanks for yet more useful replies AG :D

I just thought, why the bi-stable 555 didn't flash in my mind earlier. Do you guys think this is the best solution? :)

Your problem is not a fault of the charger.

.:D

I'm blaming this charger everyday for the below reasons:-

*) They could have set the default charging mode to .5Amps that is at the average and safe zone.

*) They could have used a simplest memory module to memorize the current mode/program. The charger itself is costly so implementing this is a must IMO.

*) I forgot that this is not made for India! ;)

..still great :p

*) I forgot that this is not made for India! ;)
Why do you let your electical utility company sleep instead of them providing reliable electricity????
In India even the voltage and frequency of the electricity is not controlled. Why not????

I assume your grid is designed in such a way that theres always a backup option. But what is the power demand and total power consumption in Canada vs India?

Canadian population is just as low as 1/40th of India. There's a big difference I'd say.

For eg, it's like you have 3kids vs 120kids...in the later case there'll be most probably power(food) outages :D

audioguru should know that there is nothing you can do about the power utility in your country. There is no rant loud enough to change that, unless you run the utility, or the country
I hope the attached helps! E

In Canada we DEMANDED that the voted-in political guys make reliable electricity or we will not vote for them anymore and it works.
Except in Quebec where they do not have backups so they have long power failures whenever the wind blows down their power lines.

Most of Canada is way up North where it is always freezing. So the small population lives South near the USA border.
We are smart enough so that each family does not have 12 to 120 kids liked in some countries. We have plenty of food for everybody in Canada including all the imported people.

Some Canadians are born in Canada and they are all colours. There are a few Native Indians and Eskimos.
Today in Canada imported people are not white anymore but are all the other colours.
Some imported people studied about Canada then became Canadian citizens.

JimB: me thinks yous funny
I came to Canada in 1965 and still remember beeing called a DP. Fortunately, most Canadians are very tolerant and supportive of imigrants. E

Isn't that pic all about red Indians who were the native americans or canadians?

Liked the cartoon.

BTW, is there any option to avoid the transformer here to operate the relay?

audioguru should know that there is nothing you can do about the power utility in your country. There is no rant loud enough to change that, unless you run the utility, or the country

I think I haven't looked much on to this solution. Kindly elaborate on this like what K stands for?

You might try plugging the charger into a UPS.

I've been thinking about this, but currently not using any UPS is the problem. Also I need this charger unit to be portable, so the above relay latching ideas I liked much, which can be assembled in a small box and carried right away!

Seems like a line-voltage AC coil relay would be more available than an equivalent voltage DC relay. It would also eliminate the diode and capacitor.

Ken

Seems like a line-voltage AC coil relay would be more available than an equivalent voltage DC relay. It would also eliminate the diode and capacitor.

Ken

Actually I haven't seen the line voltage(220v) relay yet ;), will it be a bulky one or what? or is it just like the same size of a DC voltage relay(say 12v). Do I need to add a capacitor across the output to prevent chattering, if yes what value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back