Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for step down switching regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

padu

I need to design a circuit for voltage regulation. I am what you consider as a newbie... I've done a couple of circuits already, I know how to program a PIC and read (datasheets) and I know Ohms law :)

The circuit I'm going to design has the following requirements:

DC-DC
Input voltage: from 10 to 15V (although upper limit is not important)
Output voltage: 6V
Current: 5A typical, 10A peak
Easy and quick to build

This board will also have a couple of other features such as voltage and current sensing (using a PIC) and will be part of a RS485 bus.
It will reside inside my robot and will power my daughterboards that carry sensors. Although each daughterboard will be responsible for regulating voltage to its own requirements (5V or 3.3V or whatever) and filtering noise, it is desired that the switching regulator don't output too much noise.

Also, there will be EMF sensitive equipment on the same box, such as GPS receivers and a digital compass, therefore EMF emissions is also a concern.

Cheers

A special purpose IC like that one is the way to go. PIC isn't going to be able to give you a really fine-tuned result despite all the overkill in processing power.

There are many switching buck regulators. Look on Digikey. In fact I think that MIC2169 is a bit more complicated than it needs to be in terms of external parts. I tried to browse the spec sheet and it seems kind of a backwards part too. Maybe I'm not seeing the genius here but I can't see how they achieved overcurrent protection and their spec sheet appears to have errors in the schematic.

padu said:
I liked this one, seems to attend all my needs an use very few extra components, but what kind of package is that? Is it possible to hand solder it?

No, those sort of packages can't be hand soldered. Generally you need special equipment, that heats both sides of the board at the same time.

Nigel Goodwin said:
padu said:
I liked this one, seems to attend all my needs an use very few extra components, but what kind of package is that? Is it possible to hand solder it?

No, those sort of packages can't be hand soldered. Generally you need special equipment, that heats both sides of the board at the same time.

Bummer... any other suggestions on something similar that is feasible to hand solder?

Ten amps isn't trivial. I suggest you go to Linear Technology's home page and follow this path:

Power Management/Switching Regulators/Step-Down Regulators/View Table

This will bring up a table where you can scroll down to 10 amp output devices. Input voltage range is also listed. I think you will find that any 10 amp switcher will require discrete MOSFETs in addition to the integrated circuit.

Ron H said:
Ten amps isn't trivial. I suggest you go to Linear Technology's home page and follow this path:

Power Management/Switching Regulators/Step-Down Regulators/View Table

This will bring up a table where you can scroll down to 10 amp output devices. Input voltage range is also listed. I think you will find that any 10 amp switcher will require discrete MOSFETs in addition to the integrated circuit.

I did a couple tests this weekend, and instead of running my servos out of my electronics circuitry, I'll let it draw power from the main battery pack (the one that powers the DC motors). Just to make it clear, I have two battery packs, one 14.4V 14.8Ah to power my DC motor and a 12V 3.7Ah to power my electronics.

I wanted to avoid connecting the two circuits, even if only by one common ground, but I think it will be simpler to do this instead of making circuitry capable of handling 10A.

That should open a whole lot of alternatives again. I'll check linear technologies and st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back