Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for a Pet-Safe Christmas Tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moneer81

Hello,

This holiday season we're hoping to have a christmas tree but worried about a major problem: our two cats. I am almost positive that they're gonna jump in it and go after the ornamets and just cause a lot of trouble. The other issue I am concerned about is the possibility of causing it to tip over and cause an electric fire or get themselves electrocuted. Any ideas or suggestions on setting up some kind of a security system that triggers a loud alarm? The tree will be in the corner of our living room so I wonder if I can set up some kind of a perimeter that when crossed, would trigger an alarm. Anyone done or heard of anything like that before?

Use LED string lights (they run cool) and a ground fault breaker circuit.

You could also arrange it so if the tree falls over, there is enough tension in the cabling to the LEDs that it pulls out the plug .......

I was thinking more along the lines of a setup where if the cats are within a certain distance of the tree, a radio device around their neck will trigger an alarm...

I was thinking more along the lines of a setup where if the cats are within a certain distance of the tree, a radio device around their neck will trigger an alarm...

You could buy one of those annoying toy dogs [ or frogs] the sort that make a noise when they detect someone close.

Modify it and pop it on top the tree pot. They are quite cheap.

With a bit of luck you may get one thats barks.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can also buy Christmas tree lights that run off a 12V to 24V transformer which is over current protecter and too lower voltage to cause a shock.

You could buy one of those annoying toy dogs [ or frogs] the sort that make a noise when they detect someone close.

Modify it and pop it on top the tree pot. They are quite cheap.

With a bit of luck you may get one thats barks.:rolleyes:

Good idea, but only problem is, we still wanna be able to walk by and sit by without causing the alarm to go off! That's why I am thinking there has to be some of way of making the cats trigger the alarm without others doing the same!

Good idea, but only problem is, we still wanna be able to walk by and sit by without causing the alarm to go off! That's why I am thinking there has to be some of way of making the cats trigger the alarm without others doing the same!

You can buy security pressure mats, about £4/mat in the UK.
Two types are used, one to fit stair treads and the others about 18inch square.
The have 4 leads coming out, two of these will close when the mat has pressure on it..[sound a bleeper with a small battery]
the other two wires are just sense wires.

Last edited:
You can buy security pressure mats, about £4/mat in the UK.
Two types are used, one to fit stair treads and the others about 18inch square.
The have 4 leads coming out, two of these will close when the mat has pressure on it..[sound a bleeper with a small battery]
the other two wires are just sense wires.

That was initially my idea. You could probably easily make them yourself too. The only drawback is they'll figure out how to avoid the mats. I can just see them jumping across the mats and into the tree!

That was initially my idea. You could probably easily make them yourself too. The only drawback is they'll figure out how to avoid the mats. I can just see them jumping across the mats and into the tree!

Why dont you board the cats out for Christmas in a Cattery....:D

Why dont you fix the base of the tree to the floor so it it cant be pulled over and also use LED's.

Why dont you board the cats out for Christmas in a Cattery....:D

Why dont you fix the base of the tree to the floor so it it cant be pulled over and also use LED's.

No! Our cats are too cute to be locked up :) ... plus we like to start celebrating christmas early so that would a long time for them to be locked up!

Fixing the tree and using LED's are excellent ideas but that won't stop them from jumping into the tree, possibly breaking branches, and destroying some of the ornaments...Rather than fortifying the tree, I'd rather just keep them away from it. There should be some kind of mini radio transmitter/receiver combo that could switch a transistor or a relay when you put them close together...any ideas?

Last edited:
Use plasma arc lights generated by 100kv transformer and an asbestos tree.

They will only go near it once ......

Perhaps the alarm approach is over-engineering a solution to the problem.

Why not just deter the cats from the tree area with a scent they don't like?

From a quick Google search, it appears that they don't like citrus scents, so some peelings in a dish under the tree may work...

Have a look here & see if any of these hints appeal to you:
Cat Repellant Home Remedies

I'd rather try those suggestions than be woken up in the night and have to silence an alarm.

If you offer something to the cat and it is repulsed, chances are that it should work around the tree.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back