Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for a new micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwickham

hey everyone,

im looking to get a micro controller programmer, either serial or USB. Something simple, and that comes with the software i need to get going. I would prefer to program it using c.

just wondering what you guys use and if you could make any recommendations.

thanks
craig

If you go the AVR route you will end up at AVRfreeks for help. There are not many AVR people here who can/will help here.

There are several very good PIC C experts on this forum who provide what I think is excellent help.

If you want to go the PIC route look at the PICkit2, or the **broken link removed** which will be out in January.

The is a PICkit2 clone with a built in 18F1320 target and various IO devices. I have 12 Junebugs that I use to teach PIC18 programming. It works well.

3v0

I vote that you go with the AVR. The AVRISP ($30 or so) is a good programmer and you can get a very good free, open source, optimizing C compiler called AVRGCC. Get it by downloading and installing WinAVR.

Alternatively, you can get an STK500 for about $100 and it'll come with a micro and it has an AVRISP built into it. You can use it to program chips either on the board or in a target system. The STK500 is a dev kit which allows you to connect the ports to either LEDs or buttons on the board or to anything else that you feel like adding to it.

And like 3v0 said, avrfreaks.net will be a better resource for information if you decide to go with the AVR.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

would this be a decent programmer?

I think that the current consensus for best PIC programmer is the PICkit 2 design. Microchip designed and sells them but there is a hugh clone market for them and of course our own blueroomelectronics sells a version with a built in 18F1320 Tutor / Experimenter and is recommended often on this forum.

Lefty

MPLAB is free, C18 and Swordfish BASIC (both great compilers) offer free student editions.
There is a C compiler bundled with MPLAB and if you buy a PICkit2 or compatible you can download PICkit2 2.55 standalone and get a free Logic Tool & UART tool.

Hi all,
I want to play with led displays, chasing, sequensing, etc and think this is a good time to get to know how to use a pic controller.
I have no experience at all with this type of electronice so will need to buy everything and start from scratch.
I have read these posts but am still in the dark.
If I but this kit/device, will it start from scratch with a tutorial and examples of programming?
Product Search - microchipDIRECT
Or do I need another type of pic to control leds?
I have experience in assembling kits, simple projects etc so soldering/assembling is not a problem.
Any direction appreciated.
"AUT VIAM INVEMIAM AUT FACIAM" ... I will either find a way, or make one....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back