Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Idea that needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

markland556

Well im just starting to get into PIC's. Im working on Nigels tutorials.

I had an idea a while ago for my car alarm and some guy said he would help but blew me off, so maby this is a good place to start learnin.

I want a 50 led chaser. LOL
I have searched but i havent found anything that comes close to the scale im looking for. It would be awsome to have like a puchbutton that will change between 4 modes.

Like going from top to bottem, having 2 mini top to bottems, going from the top only, going from the bottem only.

I would really appreciate any help with this sort of project, as well as ANY input you may have.
~~Thanks

Sweet! Im sure i can manage 64 leds.... LOL
So where would a good starting point be?

BTW Nigel: Thanks alot for taking the time to write those tutorials. I just sent my designs off for a few of your board so i can work with nice professional boards.

markland556 said:
Sweet! Im sure i can manage 64 leds.... LOL
So where would a good starting point be?

Look at the seven segment LED tutorial, that multiplexes 2x7, but could easily be increased to do 8x8 - you would need both NPN and PNP driver transistors in order to provide enough current for the displays. I would suggest using a 28 pin PIC, so you have 16 pins for the LED's (two ports) and extra pins for switches or serial I/O.

As well as doing what you asked, such a board would make a good individual module for a modular 'scrolling text' display.

You could reduce the pin requirement by 'charlieplexing', but this is more complicated, and limits the amount of current you can use per LED.

I have some daisy-chained chaser circuits on my hard drive, but have never tried them. My chaser projects use 10 LEDs in a low voltage and low current circuit. The brief blinks from the LEDs are extremely bright but the duration is so short that the battery lasts a long time.

Use a PIC for the high number of LEDs and the patterns that you want.

Nigel Goodwin said:
... but a multiplexed array of LED's (8x8) would give 64 LED's off a single PIC.
Using one MAX7219 driver chip from Maxim, connected to the PIC (in synchonous serial fashion) with 3 wires. Here's a link to a datasheet.
JB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back