Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Idea.. May work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayne

The idea is, "Self generating electricity"

**broken link removed**

Explanation of the Picture,
1. We will give electric supply to the Motor from an electric source called V1(just for example), Motor will start rotating, it's shaft connected to Generator.

2. Generator also rotate, and will generate electricity. We will use this electricity(For home use).

3. As the motor will reached it's full speed Cross over switch will put the load of Motor onto Generator, and will cut off the supply of V1(electric Source) from Motor.

4. Now we look, Generator is running and generating electric supply, Motor is also running from Generator, and motor rotating the Generator's shaft.
(It is something close loop)

Now i want to ask it is POSSIABLE??? or it just a bad idea.

If this system will not work then why??

Thanks.

pointless
As much as you gain from the generator you use for motors extra power consumption.

This idea creeps back up every couple of years. Worse - some people are trying to get money to study it.

Problem: the motor is not 100% efficient and the generator is not 100% efficient.

If you put 100 watts of power into the motor and get it running at full speed, and the motor is only 50% efficient then you will only get 50 watts of power out the shaft. That 50 watts of power will turn the generator and (if it is 50% efficient) produce 25 watts of electricity. That 25 watts goes back to the motor and becomes 12.5 watts then back to the generator and now its 6 watts. Next loop that becomes 3 and 1.5 watts.

I know the motor is better than 50%! But the problem is every loop you loose power until there is not enough power to turn the shaft. If you try to steel power out of the loop the motor runs down faster.

The magic words are 'motor/generator conversion efficiency' always less than 100%

You don't get ow't for now't.

Ayne said:
The idea is, "Self generating electricity"

**broken link removed**

Explanation of the Picture,
1. We will give electric supply to the Motor from an electric source called V1(just for example), Motor will start rotating, it's shaft connected to Generator.

2. Generator also rotate, and will generate electricity. We will use this electricity(For home use).

3. As the motor will reached it's full speed Cross over switch will put the load of Motor onto Generator, and will cut off the supply of V1(electric Source) from Motor.

4. Now we look, Generator is running and generating electric supply, Motor is also running from Generator, and motor rotating the Generator's shaft.
(It is something close loop)

Now i want to ask it is POSSIABLE??? or it just a bad idea.

If this system will not work then why??

Thanks.

What you are proposing is somewhat like telling someone to lift themselves up by their bootstrap. Sounds good but laws of physics and thermodynamics will prevail... Do you not think that such a simple concept would not have been exploited a century or more ago if it could work:rolleyes:

Lefty

to b frank n exact, it will n should not work. y?
simply bcoz de "feedback" power to de motor will never be enough 2 power de generator... de block diagram looks more like a degenerative loop

For the sake of humanity, please don't try this. If it works, the system will run faster and faster until it blows up, destroying the universe.

We were all kids. We all connected a motor to a generator and saw how quickly it slowed down, without delivering any power to anything else.

I had two identical motors. When I connected their leads together then if I spinned the shaft on one, the other one's shaft would also spin.
When I connected their shafts together then powered one from a battery, the other one generated exactly the same voltage as the battery, when it didn't have a load. It didn't have much power to be a generator.

If you have an absolutly massive flywheel attached to the system it will actually store some energy after the spin up time. Not particularly practicle though. Would make a nice project if you had nothing better to do and some way of well ballancing a massive flywheel (multiple thousands of pounds)

I've seen a configuration like this, sans the "crossover switch" for providing very stable power to laboratory equipment.

a very large AC motor spins an even larger flywheel coupled to a alternator. the idea was variations in frequency and voltage from the AC line don't have enough amplitude to affect the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel. so once the unit is up to speed, its output is very pure and stable. even brief interruptions in the ac line could be isolated.

the system has the advantage over a solid state ups in that its output is a pure sinus wave, not a simulated and filtered wave from solid-state switching produced by a UPS. in fact, the one I saw had been upgraded with a UPS on the input side

Well the massive flywheel idea is actually used in buses, it's spun up at the depot and provides enough energy to run the bus for the day - with downhill sections actually recharging the flywheel somewhat as it's used for braking.

However, this doesn't have any bearing on the original pertetual motion question, which is a complete load of rubbish!!.

As suggested, motor/generator are fairly commonplace, and used to be far more so (back before transistorised invertors), but their lack of efficiency is legendary! :D

Nigel Goodwin said:
<snip>As suggested, motor/generator are fairly commonplace, and used to be far more so (back before transistorised invertors), but their lack of efficiency is legendary! :D
Yea, verily, fabled in story and song! :D

I think every nube has had this idea before.

CheapSlider said:
How has this carp managed to stay out of the Trash Can for so long ?
Leaving a carp in the trash can make a bad stink. :D
**broken link removed**

perpetual motion machines?
hahaha... its not gona work.
y not talk something like cold fusion?
its more sensible but still its nearly impossible in dis imperfect world

I actually designed and built a small electric car on this principle - oh almost 30 years ago - and while it was pretty neat (give it a push and it would go for a ways), it always slowed to a stop for the (now) obvious reasons, efficiency.

However, I have not yet come to the conclusion that the concept of perpetual motion is a complete fallacy yet - I still have a dream that SOME DAY.. :)

Sounds like an electric version of the cars my nephews love. It's just a simple gearing system connected to a flywheel. Rev em up and they can really go like a bat out of hell =) but they always end with less energy than they started with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back