Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Idea for final year project

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidstate

Project Idea

Hi,
I have an idea for my final year project (in electronic and electrical engineering) but I am wondering if its too easy/hard.

I have a time limit of about 3 months to complete the project, keep a logbook, write a report, do posters etc etc....

My idea is as follows:

A handheld device which can be taken on hikes, walks, or pretty much anywhere. It would log the time, humidity, pressure, temperature and location (gps) onto an SD card. It can be logged onto the card in kml format and then be opened through google earth.

The path taken would be shown on google earth. I would then like to find out whether there is a way to include the sensor data for each data point.

I was also thinking of including a lcd display on the device so that it would be useful in the field and not only once the user has downloaded the info to a pc.

I would be using an atmega162 as the brains of the project. I think it should be able to handle all the necessary code (sd card interface and logging as well as the sensor calibration and talking to them).

A GPS receiver would be used. I would just need to parse the GPS stream as I would only require the time and co-ordinate info.

The interfacing of the sensors I have seen all seem to work off I2C which I feel I could be able to work out easily enough.

I am no expert in coding but I do have some experience and therefore think I would be able to take this on.

One of the main things I am worried about with this sort of project is the fact that I'm not sure if there is enough theory involved with the proejct. As lecturers will be marking this, they love the theory behind everything and therefore I'm not sure about this.

I suppose I would define the interfacing between sensors and uP as well as the interface with the SD card and GPS.

I suppose the main reason for posting this topic is to find out what anyone thinks of such a project, whether they think it is of high enough standard for a final year project in a masters degree. Do they think the idea is good/silly. etc.... any constructive critisicm is welcomed.

Maybe you can think of something extra to add or maybe think its too much to pull off in 3 months (all solo).

Thanks for replying,

ps: sorry for the quick and slightly unorganised post, I am about to go to a lecture.

Last edited:
So noone has any input into this? I have seen far more less deserving threads get plenty of replies.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I dont have too much to say about this except that the data you are
talking about would not have too much importance to many people i think.
I dont want to sound too critical however in case it's something you
really would like to do, and many people have a very varied idea of what
they think is useful, and often it actually is.

Are you looking for other ideas or you really want to fly with that one
for sure?

thanks for replying.

yeah i have tried and love avr freaks. its very good for info in terms of anything to do with avrs.

I am open to suggestions within the same sort of idea area.

Last edited:
Well if you can do it in 3 months have at it. Easy or Hard is determined by you not me. For me easy but is it a worthwhile project? You can buy GPS loggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back