Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IDE HDD reading sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1r05

hello everybody

i am trying to build an mp3 player from the ground up. its similar to those you find on the net. currently am trying to do is getting data off the harddrive and no its not as easy i though it would be. faced a lot of problems in this stage including power problem, drive locking up (seagate).. .etc.

now after all those problem been sorted out, when i try reading a sector everything goes smooth except am getting all zeros. 512 bytes of it from any sector i read. + the activity led goes out when i read a full sector and the sector count register decrements by 1, which is good.

here is what am doing

1- setting up LBA address + (sector count =1).
2- issuing read sector command.
3- waiting for DRQ bit to be asserted.
4- reading 256 words into an array.
5- printing the array.

now some might suspect its a wiring problem, ive ruled that out because when i issue the drive a ID drive command it works great. reading drive ID data is same as reading a sector the difference is just in the command issued to the drive.

help me am stuck !

Why torture youself?

The best way is to buy a mini-motherboard and install a small OS on the hard drive.

yeah a whole computer is a total overkill + i want to learn new things and yeah its fun, but being stuck is bad, sad and woefully depressing.

how can i resolve this ?

You might try googling, there were a LOT of sites that had projects for accessing IDE HDD and CDROM's from PIC's - but I fear that a lot of the sites are no longer there! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back