Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IDE/ATA 40 pin hdd question

Status
Not open for further replies.

led4lyf

Can you manipulated the motor speed on a HDD by directly jumpering or grounding out the pins on the IDE/ATA 40 pin connector?

Not for HDD, but I managed to do that for a floppy disk drive years ago. Simply grounding or connecting a few pins to 5V, then supply the output of a 555 timer to a single pin (can't remember exactly which one), I am able to start the stepper motor that moves the read/write head. Increasing or decreasing the 555 timer output frequency will help control the speed. It can't move fast though.

The following is a simple robot made from an old floppy drive:
generation5 - Converting a Floppy Disk Drive into a Simple Robot (Part I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back