Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICSP pickit2 stops chip running

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmgr

Is it normal that when I have my pickit 2 plugged into the icsp port of my circuit it stops the chip from running its normal program?
As soon as its unplugged it starts running. It also happily programs the chips.

Hi,

Probably need isolation resistors.

It is always a good idea to disconnect power from the PIC before plugging in your PicKit. I would not plug it in while the chip is running its program.

PicKits often hold the devices in reset for programming. There is an item in one of the menus (program, maybe?) to release from reset. Clicking that should set your chip running again.

I found I have to go through power up and attach sequence shown in the Pickit 3 instructions otherwise it just hangs and says Pickit 3 not connected.
Max.

Attachments

• Pickit debug.pdf
    374.8 KB · Views: 212
It is always a good idea to disconnect power from the PIC before plugging in your PicKit. I would not plug it in while the chip is running its program.

PicKits often hold the devices in reset for programming. There is an item in one of the menus (program, maybe?) to release from reset. Clicking that should set your chip running again.

That was it, thankyou - theres an option to release from reset - no more unplugging after each programming!

That was it, thankyou - theres an option to release from reset - no more unplugging after each programming!

Glad I was able to help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back