Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

Hi

I am new to electronics and was wondering if there was a means of finding out about the different ICs commonly used/available?

I can't seem to find anything online (strangely) so I must be doing the wrong search.

Any idea on what I should google to find IC lists?

Cheers

I have always used vendor lists because they have chips I can actually get. I use www,mouser to look up chips and they usually have the datasheet right there where you can download it. You can't use a chip without a datasheet!

ics are used depending on the application.

examples

timer circuits = 555 timer ic
lcd projects = pic chips like 16f628 16f877 etc
led chaser = 4017 ic

what do you want to make and we can suggest a suitable ic if needed.

Back in the '70's I read whole books by National Semiconductor. That was based on the idea that if you don't know what's available, you can't imagine how to use it. You don't have to name what project you're going to do before you can read about what's available.

what do you want to make and we can suggest a suitable ic if needed.

Well, that's the thing. I have used the following ICs... 555, shift registers, pics, bcd display drivers, mux

If I discover one that sounds interesting (from looking at projects people are working on youtube etc) I buy a chip, download the datasheet and have a play with it.

This is why I am sure there must be a list of these and other popular ICs in an introduction to electronics form somewhere? I just can't find it.

Any thoughts?

Back in the '70's I read whole books by National Semiconductor. That was based on the idea that if you don't know what's available, you can't imagine how to use it. You don't have to name what project you're going to do before you can read about what's available.

Will check amazon now... sweet. Cheeers

ohh i see now, im the other way round, i get an idea in my head and find a chip that does the job well.

ohh i see now, im the other way round, i get an idea in my head and find a chip that does the job well.

I work as a software developer using multiple programming languages... I figured I would approach it like I do my work. If I find out which functions are available to me, I can choose how best to achieve my goal with those tools at hand.

You can buy the books from National, you can download "application notes" from their website, or you can find a local company that sells large quantities of chips to assembly line companies and they will have several brands of OEM books for free. (That's what I call hitting the jackpot!)

**broken link removed** the Nat. Semi website. Look under "Tools" for a listing of ap notes and other info. The books they wrote are likely out of print and would only be available as used.

This is a very broad question as there are thousands of IC's. Are you interested in Analog, Digital? For basic logic devices I recommend a copy of the Texas Instrument TTL data book for engineers. It is from the 70's but even though the first TTL devices are obsolete they have their contemporary offspring that are pin and function compatible. For example the 7400 may now be replaced with 74HCT00 or 74VHCT00. Here is a link for the book. Looks pretty cheap.
The TTL Data Book for Design Engineers Second Edition, The Engineering Staff of Texas Instruments (Hardcover ) Used Book available for Swap

Are you interested in Analog, Digital?

I am working on basic circuits using arduino and pic. So anything that might be useful for that.

I will check that book out. Nice one...

You forgot to say where in the world you are.
3rd world countries use extremely old obsolete parts.
Wealthy countries use modern parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back