Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICs for a biginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

magester1

ICs for a beginner

Hello there.
I'm new to electronics and, even though I've already posted some questions, I want to start over.
I've finally moved to a bigger city where I can purchase electronic components, and using other threads I found here I've bought basic things, lile resistors, transistors, capacitors, etc.

What I'd like to get your opinion on is on what ICs to get.
I have no project in mind, just testing what I read (basic stuff) and learn by experience as well. So I was wondering which ICs should I get, both analog and digital, I've been reading more about digital electronics though.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
It's a bit like saying " I want to get into car repair , what car parts should I buy ? "............... who knows!

It's a bit like saying " I want to get into car repair , what car parts should I buy ? "............... who knows!

Bad example my friend. If you wanna get into car repair, buy an old engine, a transmission, a gearbox, or the whole old car from the junkyard, and a set of tools to dismantle and having fun with it.

The best first beginner circuit to make IMHO is a 555 and 4017 light sequencer "knight rider".

You are right, and even better: a LM317 variable power supply, to light up the 555 and 4017's lights :)

A cheap multimeter would be great too

Last edited:
You might try an electronic experimenters kit. They typically contain several types of ICs, LEDs, diodes, resistors, etc., a power supply, and a plug-in breadboard to connect them together. Makes it easy for a newbie to build different circuits and learn about electronics.

I would say almost 90% of them are overpriced though, and you learn more if you need to figure out each component on it's own and buy them separately. Sure it takes more time this way but it does pay off in the long run when you need to restock and now know what your doing.

LOL. Anything 'projectable' for beginners always starts with a 555 timer, coz EE students starts learning it in Electronics courses. Great start, I'd recommend too.

The best first beginner circuit to make IMHO is a 555 and 4017 light sequencer "knight rider".

After you make that circuit, then you can try to make my 50 LED sequencer that uses only a few extra 4017. I don't have the circuit diagram ready yet but I will post it here as soon as I do.

Indeed the 555 timer is a great start.

Other basic suggestions:
-Voltage regulators, one for 5v, other adjustable: LM7805, LM317.
-Opamp, a general purpose like the LM358. Comparator like the LM339.
-CMOS Logic gates, to learn the basics, CD4011, CD4001, CD4049, and some CMOS flip-flops CD4013, CD4027
-CMOS counters, lke the CD4017 and the CD4060
-LED 7 segment drivers, CD4511

That should keep you busy for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back