Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD 3 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

HATHA

**broken link removed**

Yes, according to the user's guide, the target application can be powered by the debugger from 3 to 5 V @ 100 mA (section 2.5.4).
Other features are listed in section 2.3:
The MPLAB ICD 3 in-circuit debugger system is similar in function to the MPLAB ICD
2 in-circuit debugger system, but surpasses it in speed and functionality. The MPLAB

ICD 3 also:

• Features USB high speed

• Is USB powered
• Is a hardware accelerator
• Provides a programmable voltage power supply
• Eliminates the RS-232 port

• Includes a diagnostic self-test interface board

It seems that more devices are supported by the ICD3 and this would be - in my opinion - the main advantage, besides enhanced debugging capabilities.

Last edited:
Not inexpensive at $220.

It has software breakpoint support, the last time I checked
the uC has to have a break instruction (OPCODE). I do not know which PICs do.

A quick look shows is uses a dsPIC and a FPGA.
This should make it faster then an ICD2 or a PICkit2.

The standard ICSP RJ-11 cable does not allow for clock speeds greater than
about 15 Mb/sec. dsPIC33F DSCs running at full speed are greater than the 15
Mb/sec limit.

Could be a hard limit or they could have a better cable/solution in the works.

I did not see schematics. No clones? Could be the development cost of the ICD3 was enough that they plan to recover some of it via sales. This is not unfair, us cheap people still have the PICkit2.

I am tempted.

Last edited:
im sure it wont be long before someone makes a clone. Hopefully with all the same benefits as the original. I for one would buy this only if i was doing this to make money and not as a hobby. But would buy a clone for the right price! :D

Coming soon ... **broken link removed**

Pickit3 - which sorta puts the EPE cheapie into perspective.

Coming soon ... **broken link removed**

Pickit3 - which sorta puts the EPE cheapie into perspective.
The link does not provide enough info, it could be add for the PICkit2.

They do not say anything about the UART or LOGIC tools.

I would say that it is too early to say much about the PICkit3.

3v0

EDIT: Other then the color :)

Last edited:
Found this with more info. Mostly a press release but it talks about target chips. Price is $70.
That $70 gets you a target board too, so you can probably buy the programmer without it for a bit less. Looks like the major addition will be (future) support for the 32-bit chips.

And, like everyone else, I love the color. :D

huh!!!!microchip is just washing off their old things..changing the color.......
But ICD 3 is expensive....but i think PICKit3 will be less........we can see the differences between PK2 and PK3 when microchip publish the schematic.........if they publish....don't know what they're thinking off...they suspended sampling...although there was abuses too....

Whan they give PK3......we'll be building a PK3 clone....Bill will look for Junebug 2 or 'july'bug:) ...... wait 'til january

awesome i cant wait... Looks nice. $70 is a great price! for including that board. They should work more on MPLab also though. Better UI is always a good direction. Like more simulations tools and stuff. And bug fixes are welcome.

But Microchip didn't mention that there's additional software for PICkit3, like the PICkit2. PICkit2 programming software always supports wider range of PICs as compared to MPLAB.

TABLE 1-2: 8-BIT (DATA MEMORY) DEVICES
in the uses guide shows that it will do software breakpoints for all the 18F chips. There is no limit to the number of software breakpoints and it claims
no skid.

It also will do "Break on data fetch or write" which has my interest.

For 12F and 16F the feature set is not much better then the ICD2.

3v0

I wonder if someone here already got the ICD3, it would be interesting to hear first-hand experience with the thing. I recently placed an order with MicrochipDirect and I was thinking about ordering once but ICD3 was not yet available (in stock).

Petr

It has been said the programming and debugging is super fast compare with ICD2.

Other than that, it is almost identical to ICD2 on functionality.

Sounds interesting - do you have one ? Did you open it to see what is inside ? Can you post pictures of the inside of ICD3 ? I am curious ...

Thanks,

Petr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back