Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ic to drive 7 segement displays and leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhanuchander

Display board was designed to drive 3 common anode seven segment displays, 1 common anode five segment displays, 16 LEDs and a buzzer input is provided from micro controller ( CLK ,LOAD,DIN)

used an LED driver IC(P/N-A6833SEPTR-T from Allegro) but now it is not available/obsolete so i thought of use other IC driver which doesn't leads to redesign of entire board,

ps, can you guys help me to solve this problem

The closest I can think of is the MAX7219 which will drive 8 7seg displays or 8*8 individual LEDs or a combination of the two. I think finding a pin compatible chip is highly unlikely. Do you have a link to the data sheet?

Mike.

Last edited:
You actually want the MAX7221. This is an upgrade to the MAX7219. The MAX7219 has a glitch problem on the SPI bus. It is also wise to put 10k pull down resistors on the SPI lines with either chip. Attached is some code I wrote when I was at Maxim to time the settling of the head on a pint of Guinness (I wrote for the Americans celebrating St Patrick's Day) back in 1998

Attachments

• pic_code.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 169
Seems like an awesome chip! Since I have a bunch of open pins on my micro, I think I am just going to use a shift register chip to control the rows and transistors to sink the current on the columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back