Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC suggestions for a new experimenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turillian

Hi, I'm looking to start messing around with electronics, I'd like to build up a small collection of components. I'm wondering if anyone could help me decide which IC's I should start playing with. I was thinking I would go with CMOS because I don't have any power supplies with low enough tolerance, is that reasonable?

If you have any advice I'd love to hear it.
Thanks for your time.

turillian said:
Hi, I'm looking to start messing around with electronics, I'd like to build up a small collection of components. I'm wondering if anyone could help me decide which IC's I should start playing with. I was thinking I would go with CMOS because I don't have any power supplies with low enough tolerance, is that reasonable?

If you have any advice I'd love to hear it.
Thanks for your time.

CMOS logic chips are probably the best series to use for beginners. Just remember to tie all unused inputs to ground or + as the chips can oscillate and draw high current causing device failure due to overheating. The 555 timer chip is an all time favorite for learning and experimenting with, and tons of circuits for them are on the web.

Lefty

i think you should start of learning how logic works first, by buying a heap of IC's like, AND Gate, OR Gate, etc

and start learning how these IC's work

eg using a AND Gate IC:

the AND Gate was the first IC i ever used, and it was fun to play around with at the time, but not so entertaing for me anymore,

a quad 2input AND Gate IC has 2 inputs for each output and both inputs must be high(+V) for the output to be high(+V)

any other combination and the output will be low(0V)

this is an example of just one of the logic types out there, so i hope this is usefull infomation for you :D

No dont listen to shane! get a 555, that is how I started!!!!

Thanks for all the great replies, I'll definitely stock up on 555's. I have experience with programming languages, and I've read a couple introductory books on electronics so I understand the digital side of things fairly well.
I have a reasonably unlimited budget so I'm not looking at just getting one IC, hah.

For logic gates, should I just get a bunch of NAND and NOR gates? I understand that any of the other logic gates can be made of combinations of these. Maybe a good project would be to try to make all the other gates from these two.

I'll look into op-amps, they seem to be really important.

And what about transistors? The variety available is frightening, I don't know where to start.

As for resistors and capacitors I think I'm good to go, I have a pretty huge selection. I also have a breadboard and lots of wire that fits in nicely. Hm, thinking about it, I have another question. What should I do about a power supply? Build one? A good first project?

Thanks for all the help.

555 Timer
7400 quad NAND gate
5532 op amp (cheap but awesome performance)
2n2222 NPN transistor
2n7002 N-channel MOSFET

Those are all very inexpensive parts, 'classics' if you will. The 5532 op amp though is still one of the very best audio op-amps out there, competing with newer parts that might run $3-$5. I think the 5532 are 80c apiece or so.

Your idea about experimenting with a NAND to make the other basic gates is an excellent learning exercise.

For logic gates, should I just get a bunch of NAND and NOR gates? I understand that any of the other logic gates can be made of combinations of these.
Most simple projects seem to use NAND gates. And while you can make any gate out of the NOR or NAND, it doesn't hurt to have a few of each type of gate in your junk box if you intend to build things with discreet logic chips.
Maybe a good project would be to try to make all the other gates from these two.
That would be a good learning experience. Your breadboard will come in handy; avoid soldering a bunch of experimental circuits together because you'll be tearing them apart just as quick as you build them.
I'll look into op-amps, they seem to be really important.
Yes they are. The LM358 and LM324 are legacy chips that good for getting your feet wet but have been superseded by better chips such as the MC34074, etc. The LM741 is ancient.
I have experience with programming languages, and I've read a couple introductory books on electronics
You'll probably want to eventually get into micro controllers. PICs and AVRs are pretty popular. So don't buy TOO many discreet logic chips. ;)
And what about transistors? The variety available is frightening, I don't know where to start.
Some popular numbers for small signal transistors in North America are 2n3904, 2n3906 & 2n2222. And then there are MOSFETs.... :D
What should I do about a power supply? Build one? A good first project?
It is a good project as long as you are confident with working on AC powered mains. I don't know your level of expertise, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner from a safety point of view. I have a proper power supply in my closet, but actually use a 12V wallwart feeding a 7805 mounted on the backside of my breadboard for 5V projects. Keeps my limited workspace clear.
As far as just going out and randomly buying parts, I wouldn't recommend it. A better approach would be to find a project you want to build and order a few extra parts for it. ie: most suppliers have a price break at 10, 25, and 100 lot quantities and you'll find it won't cost you much more to order 10 transistors vs 5. Then if you blow a part up you'll have a spare on hand and if not, something for the junkbox.

Last edited:
Great advice, the reason I want to go out and buy a bunch of 'random' parts, is because I'm home for a short time, then I'm shipping off to University for the rest of the year. Thanks to both of you for the specific numbers, exactly the information I'm looking for.

My expertise in dealing with AC powered mains is pretty minimal from an electronics point of view, I have done a fair bit of electrical wiring in houses though. A 12V wallwart hooked up to a voltage regulator sounds like the nice simple type of solution I'm looking for.

For the micro-controllers, they definitely look like a lot of fun. An army of robots is the general end-effect I'm going for, but that's a long way off.

For what its worth, if you just want to learn about gates, transistors etc use a simulator. For as little as $39 you can buy NI Multisim
**broken link removed**
As for the LM555 it's the most popular IC ever made, and it's in the simulator as well as thousands of other parts and virtual test equiptment too.
**broken link removed**

As far as a power supply is concerned, you want a +/-12V supply for powering op-amps and a 5V supply for dgital logic. Both of these can be made from a main tranformers, bridge rectifier and a three pin voltage regulator like LM7812/7912 and 7805.

A variable power supply is even better, checkout my bipolar power supply project but be sure to read the whole thread before you build it.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/variable-bipolar-power-supply.24291/

I don't recommend messing with AC mains to anyone new. BUT, that doesn't mean you can't build your own power supply.

Find an AC wall-wart power supply of 12 to 16 volts. Using different types of rectifier topologies and different voltage regulators you should be able to get anything from +3.3, +5, etc to +/- 15V. All it takes is a few diodes, a few electrolytic caps, and your standard 3 terminal regulators

A great example of such a PS is here, you can see how simple it is:

**broken link removed**

It will fit on a breadboard very easily, and will be very cheap.

ETA:

You may as well buy some 1N4002 diodes in bulk, as well as some 0.1uF ceramic capacitors as well. You will use them in practically everything you do, buy them in quantities of 100 or so and they will be very cheap.

Also, a great power supply simulator is here:

https://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

It is meant for audio power supplies (including tube amp power supplies) but is a generally useful tool. You may not know some of the specs for the transformer, but you can ask questions here when you have them.

Last edited:
You may as well buy some 1N4002 diodes in bulk
Or some 1N4005 or 1N4007 which are not much more expensive but have a higher voltage rating and are thus more versatile.
The AC wallwart power supply is an excellent idea!

You can also buy toroidal lighting transformers fairly cheaply, just wire a plug on one end and you have a cheap 12VAC power supply.

Using mains power isn't that dangerous providing you take the required precautions: use an isolation transformer, enclose the project in a plastic enclosure, use a suitable fuse and you ensure adequate clearances between the mains and secondary side.

I suggest some parts kits found on ebay from Night Fire Electronic Kits (**broken link removed**). The parts kits seem to be well-directed towards a goal. Essentially a collection of active and passive parts from $10-$100, with a bunch of projects included. Analog, digital, transistor, etc.

[edit] search the store with -SMT as your search term if you want thru hole only [/edit]

I don't do much logic any more, almost all micro controllers.

Last edited:
The above advice in this thread so far has all been pretty good; to add to it I'd recomend

Must have items:
A DMM (digital multi meter), a few switches, some red/green LEDs, a couple each of 1K, 10K, 50K, 100K linear POTs, and some jumper cables with alligator clips at each end.

Nice to have items:
Soldiering iron/soldier, a small assortment of heat-shrink, a small speaker, perf board, a power supply with both fixed and adjustable voltage outputs. My power supply preference would be -18 to +18 adjustable voltage, and fixed voltage outputs of -/+ 5V, -/+9V, -/+ 12V; all outputs should be rated at least 1 amp.

Also before handling electronic parts, you should be grounded so you won't zap any parts with ESD. However being grounded does not apply when you are working with AC...If the AC equipment is mis-wired, you could get a dangerous shock if your grounded.

If you have think rubber soled shoes then you won't get a shock even if you do acidentally touch the live conductor, (although I wouldn't want to put it to the test)

Rubber shoes are an execellent choice when working with AC.

Keeping 1 hand behind your back is also recomended. That way if accidently come into contact with a live circuit, it lessens the chance that the current path will be across the chest (and heart), from one hand to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back