Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC`s that can produce spesified number of pulses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biindy

Hi all, I am new at this forum. I wonder if it is someone out there that can help me with my project.
I wonder if it is possible to make a circuit with IC`s (no microcontrollers) that produces a spesified number of pulses? Example - when I push a button, the circuit makes 5 pulses, and then stops. When I push the button again, it makes 5 new pulses. I want to use the output from this circuit into a BCD Decade Counter.

I need to make 4 circuits like this with 4 buttons. I want button 1 to make 1 pulse, button 2 to make 5 pulses, button 3 to make 10 pulses and button 4 to make 20 pulses. All the outputs is going into the same BCD Decade Counter. Does anyone out there know if it is possible to do this without the use of microcontrollers?

It's certainly possible, but it's a lot of hard work! - is this for a school project or something?, it's rather impractical these days as a working project when a micro-controller will do it with a single IC.

hi,

It is not a school project. I went to school in about 10 years ago, and I am trying to pick up electronics as a hobby again. I forgot how funny it is to play with electronic circuits.
I am trying to make a electronic savings box that always tells me how much money that is in the box at all time.
I know that I could manage this with only one microcontroller, but I want to do it the old school way. And hard work is now problem. I have searched the web for a circuit that can do what i want, but I have not found one.
Sorry about my bad english.

It sounds like you want to make something like a cash register. Do you plan to have up-down counters, so you can handle withdrawals?

design it as a state machine. in my first-year electronics class in college we designed and built a system consisting of a wired transmitter/reciever where the transmitter would send a different number of pulses for each of the buttons on it, and the reciever would simply count the pulses to decode the command, and control some motors as a result.

the whole system was done with sequential logic, and each board had about a dozen IC's on it despite its simple purpose. certainly not minimalistic or elegant, but if you really want to do it truly old-school then that's probably what you're up against. otherwise you can probably cut the number of IC's down a lot by using some special function IC's... some kind of counter chip and a 555 could probably do it without much other logic...

Its not a cash register. Its thing that counts money. I want to build a box with 4 coin inputs and a display that shows at all time how much money it is in the box. The inputs are 1,5,10 and 20.
aibelectronics, Can u tell me how the CD4022 works?

20 or 25?

biindy said:
The inputs are 1,5,10 and 20.

A uC would be a simple solution for sure. But did you mean 1, 5, 10 and 25? I am in the US. Are you going to have to coins press the switches?

A telephone pulse dialer ic would get you the 1,5 & 10 pulse trains, and with some additional logic probably the 20 pulse train, too. (like pushing 10 twice). They're not too common these days, since most telephone systems use DTMF to dial.
National Semiconductor used to make pulse dialer ic's as part numbers MM53190, MM53143 & MM53144, (all obsolete I believe). Motorola made them as MC14408, MC14409, I think they're obsolete, too. I saw that NTE has part numbers 1691 & 1692, which seem to still be available and not too expensive @ $3-4US . I got all this by Googling "telephone pulse dialer".
JB
*edit* Here's a datasheet link:https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/10/nte1691.pdf

See this thread. It does what you want except that it will need expansion to produce 20 pulses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean the programmable down counter wil do the job.

Attachments

• 40192.gif
    40192.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 622
Thank u all for helping. I will try the curcuit in the link from ljcox.
The reason I`m using 1,5,10 and 20 is becasue I am from Norway, and thats the value of our coins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back