Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC-Prog starting errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGEFT

Hi there, im new to everithing about pics from programers to software, i have been reading something and im using a JDM programmer and ic-prog software, the thing is that everytime i run ic-prog i get this error messages windows,"Error ocurred(system could not find the specified file) while loading driver" then i click ok and i get this message "Privileged Instruction", click accept again then the program just starts but when i try to program a 16F84 i get the privileged instruction message again and the program freeze, im using windows xp and i already downloaded the sys file on the install directory and clicked on the enable nt/2k/xp thing, any ideas of what i could be doin wrong?.:confused:

i tried reinstalling already, i even tried multiple versions of ic-prog, i noticed that the "Privileged instruction" message appears if i activate de "Direct I/O" option from the setting->hardware menu, it stops from appearing at the start of ic-prog if i activate Windows API instead, but the driver loading error keeps appearing everytime i run ic-prog, is there something im missing?.

You need to download the IC-Prog NT/2000 Dirver.

Go to this page -> http://www.ic-prog.com/download.html

Click on the download link for the NT/2000 Dirver.
When prompted, save the .zip file into the same directory where you've saved icprog.exe. Then unzip the contents of the newly downloaded .zip file. This will create a file called icprog.sys, which should also be in the same directory as icprog.exe.

Now try running ic-prog again.

Thnx to all replies, i finally got rid of those error messages, it seems that it wasnt recognising the patch sys file, i had to disable the nt/2k/xp driver from the settings then i restarted ic-prog and enabled the driver again and this time it asked me if i wanted to install the patch so i accepted and restarted w/o errors but... when i tried to finally program the PIC i got the 0000h memory verification error, so now im afraid that my com port wont work with JDM, how do i make those voltage measures to test the com port compatibility with JDM?.

Many Desktop PCs supports JDM programmer unless some laptops.

Did you select the correct com port in IC Prog?

Do you have a link of your JDM programmer?

84 is easy PIC to program. At programing mode the MCLR pin must show 12-14V.

The 0000h memory verification error mostly comes when the IC & the data transmission part faulty & comes when it cannot access to the programing mode.

Thats why I use winpic800 it detects the PIC when the software is open.

Last edited:
IGEFT said:
Thnx to all replies, i finally got rid of those error messages, it seems that it wasnt recognising the patch sys file, i had to disable the nt/2k/xp driver from the settings then i restarted ic-prog and enabled the driver again and this time it asked me if i wanted to install the patch so i accepted and restarted w/o errors but... when i tried to finally program the PIC i got the 0000h memory verification error, so now im afraid that my com port wont work with JDM, how do i make those voltage measures to test the com port compatibility with JDM?.
Hi,
Try to download ic-prog 1.06A . this is the latest version. 1.06 had some issues with JDM and the author has upgraded it to 1.06A

Is your code protected? If so GO TO 'OPTIONS-PROGRAMMING"
ther you set "verify during programming" apply and come out
perhaps this will work

Final and IMPORTANT issue is - if the Vpp is less then 12.5V it may give problem. try to ensure the electrolytic cap used at Vpp is a good and new piece and of proper value
Also on the hardware setting the Delay can be set to 20 instead of lower value.

Configuring windows API is correct.
hope you will go thro'

Last edited:
hi again, im usin ic-prog 1.06A already in a desktop computer, i tried changin I/O Delay to 20 but i still get the error, im using Com Port 1 (as is the only 1 i can activate), this is the link to the JDM programmer **broken link removed** , i dont have a schematic for it but it says that is based on the JDM design, i tried the hardware check enabling MCLR pin and measuring from com port GND pin to socket pin 4 (Vpp) and im reading 8v, is that the correct way to test the hadware?, if so, is that voltage too low?.

check across the pins MCLR(pin4 of 16F84) and Vss(Pin5 in case of 16F84)

otherwise you can also try across the 2electrolytic caps. one will read 5V to indicate Vdd and across the other you are to get 12.5 to 13 volts . this very voltage will be connected to MCLR at the time of programming. once this voltage is proper it will work. i fear not able to land on the site given. if you have a photo or data already with you you may send to me or attach to your next post.

thnx again, i just tested the caps and pins 4-5 and im happy to say that im reading 5v in 1 cap and 13.3v in both the other cap and pins 4-5 but i still cant program the pic, the image given on the site is very small and crappy anyway and its not even the same pcb that i have, ill post a photo of my programmer in a cople mins when my cellphone is fully recharged.

this is the web image in the meantime hope u can see it
**broken link removed**

please send photos of top and bottom sides both i have downloaded
from the site
the instuction manual is in english also luckily for me

i think it has a 2 regulators either zenors or 78xLxx series
if zenors, ther are 3 transistors and two sets of protection diodes like 1N4148

PS: whether you have assembled or it is a ready made kit

Last edited:
IGEFT said:
i tried the hardware check enabling MCLR pin and measuring from com port GND pin to socket pin 4 (Vpp) and im reading 8v, is that the correct way to test the hadware?, if so, is that voltage too low?.
JDM programmers don't use ground reference. You have to measure all voltages with respect to Vss (pin 5 of a DIL18 socket).
Post your 'Hardware settings', some signals (CLOCK, DATA) might be inverted.

Last edited:
IGEFT said:
Hi there, this are the pics of my programmer hope this can help somehow, the hardware settings are as follow: Programmer: JDM, Com Port: 1, I/O Delay: 20, Direct I/O: ON, everithing else its disabled. .................
OK sir, I will do some reverse engg and come back. for us in India it is now 20mnts past midnight
by 10:00 GMT i shall try to build the schematic analyse and offer my comments what ever worth they would be

Hi again, thnx for the link gayan, it did helped me understand more about JDM, but im still unable to get a 16F84 programed, i just cant get pass through 0000h error, i tried enablin and disabling stuff from here and there but i keep gettin the error, i tested the Vpp and im getting the correct 13v and this is starting to frustrate me, im gonna program the chip tomorrow on the school with microchip's pic start plus and make sure that its not the pic itself the one causing troubles and i will also try to use my programmer in another desktop computer, i would really appreciate any new ideas on what should i do.

BTW try using winpic 800.It auto detects the PIC first. So we can confirm your PIC or the Programmer working or not.

If you are in a hurry you can build that the simple JDM programmer it works fine with many PIC's.

Is it 84 or 84A?
Can you tell the part numbers of the transistors in your Programmer?

Last edited:
Hi, again thnx to every1 for helping me out, im sorry about the delay between my posts and replies its just that im on the last week of school so im spendin most of my time there.
Im using a JDM programmer i bought as a kit already assembled from the store and using a PIC16F84A-04 , component list are as follow:
Q1,Q2= BC547B
Q3(the one near the electrolitic cap)= BC558B
I cant read all the diode part numbers theyr kinda faded, but i could see there are some 1N4148(3 or 4), there are no IC's on the board, there is one jumper thing that has to be set in position 2-3 for the 16F84 according to the manual, oh and 1 more thing is that there are 2 diodes just above the 10k resistor if watched from the image i posted, and theyr soldered on inverted-paralel(something like a diac) one over the other and the holes for d8 are empty, it looks kinda bad to be a purchased kit but i tested with the ohm meter and they seem to be the same nodes, i have to go school now so i wont be able to post until night, i really appreciate all the help from every1.
oh btw my e-mail: theblindphantom@hotmail.com.

BTW try using winpic 800.It auto detects the PIC first. So we can confirm your PIC or the Programmer working or not.

If you are in a hurry you can build that the simple JDM programmer it works fine with many PIC's.

Is it 84 or 84A?
Can you tell the part numbers of the transistors in your Programmer?

can i convert JMD prog. TO winpic 800. pl giude me,.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back