Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ic, help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

microzone

Hi! Recently I just get an M42SP-7, Stepping Motors from my old printer and I plan to use this motor. I have search an H-bridge IC which is Allegro, A3980. Can I use this H-bridge ic to contol my bipolar Stepper motor? Do you have this H-bridge application sheet (how to connect its pin) if this H-bridge is suitable for my case? Thank you first for your kind help. :)

google for jones on stepping.

yes. an hbridge can be used to drive a bipolar stepper. assuming it can handle the motor's current draw.

The A3980 is a stepper controller, not just an HBridge. It's probably overkill for a stepper from a printer but it will work fine. go to allegromicro.com and search for it.

Last edited:
philba said:
google for jones on stepping.

yes. an hbridge can be used to drive a bipolar stepper. assuming it can handle the motor's current draw.

The A3980 is a stepper controller, not just an HBridge. It's probably overkill for a stepper from a printer but it will work fine. go to allegromicro.com and search for it.

Thanks Philba for your kind reply. I have go through the allegromicro.com data sheet but I still do not knwo how to connect it. Do you have any tutorial sheet of this IC? I have received your previous reply and say that I can use L293D to contol my bipolar stepper motor and you also provide me with the circuit diagram. May I know what is P2 in the schematic(it has step pin, dir pin and ground pin), is it L293D IC or other type of IC? Can you please spare some time enlighten me? Thanks. :)

P2 is a connector. You input your step signals there.

the datasheet for the A3980 has a circuit diagram but doesn't show connections for the control pins (step, direction, ms1, ms2, SR, SLEEP, ENABLE and PFD). These are all described in the text. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend you use this chip unless you can find a design some where. It's fairly complex for a newbie.

I think you might be better off buying either a kit or a completed PCB. I don't say this as a negative but rather as my belief that you will get up and running a lot faster that way.

philba I have read through how you helped microzone was wondering if you could help me? What H-Bridge driver would you suggest that a Newbie uses if they had to build the H-Bridge driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back