Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ic for sinewave generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ron, Very nice chip, a big upgrade from the XR2206 (now obsolete). But, neither Digi-Key nor Mouser have them. Is there a newer version out? The datasheet is dated 8/07.

For whatever reason, that type of chip (sine generator) is tough to search for. I had a bad time looking for one recently, and missed that one. Ended up using some leftover 2206s. TNX again <<<)))

RATS! just checked Maxim: "no longer available", they outsourced it from a foundry & process that's been discontinued. The search continues...

Last edited:
The MAX038 has not been made for a few years ever since a storm destroyed the factory it was made in.
Today, Newark has some XR2206 ICs in stock. Its max frequency is 100kHz for a good sine-wave or 1MHz for a distorted sine-wave.
Fairchild has an IC that makes an odd type of sine-wave but I can't remember its part number.

If it's a fixed frequency you could use a xtal oscillator and run it through some type of tuned filter to get a good enough sine wave, depending of course on what it actually has to DO.

People always have these "mystery" tasks...

The MAX038 has not been made for a few years ever since a storm destroyed the factory it was made in.
Today, Newark has some XR2206 ICs in stock. Its max frequency is 100kHz for a good sine-wave or 1MHz for a distorted sine-wave.
Fairchild has an IC that makes an odd type of sine-wave but I can't remember its part number.

That is the second time I got burned suggesting that chip and the second time AG was king enough to point out it is no longer made. You would think I would learn. Sheese! :)

The rough spot is obviously the 3 MHz Sine Wave. I don't know of a simple single chip solution.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi,

here is the circuit of a classic Wien-bridge sine oscillator. Regenerative feedback is gained by the 12V/60mA incandescent lamp.

Select an OpAmp you need for your requirements.

Boncuk

Attachments

• Sine Wave Generator.gif
    Sine Wave Generator.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 253
Another way is using a DDS function generator chip like the AD9834.

Selecting the AD9834CRUZ (master clock input 75MHz) it will certainly produce a clean sine wave of 3MHz.

Using the AD9834BRUZ (master clock input 50MHz) you'll have to prepare for some distortion.

Use an appropriate filter for the desired output frequency.

Boncuk

Thankfully, I only need .25 -> 3Hz then variable amplitude 0 -> 5V (or close) for ADC uC input.
TNX Boncuk, I'm not familiar with that chip (or "DDS" term), I'll guess it's a flavor of digital synthesis (discrete?). An approach I missed.
So, time for the geezer to "school hisself" yet again... <<<)))

I remember an old sine-wave generator that used a light bulb for amplitude stability. The amplitude bounced and took some time to smooth the bounces until it was stable.

DDS means "Direct Digital Sythesis".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back